Old 04-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Clippings Care | Transferring to Pot and etc.

Hello everyone,

On 4-28-03, I took clippings from a 100 year old Chinese Elm

and dipped it
in TakeRoot and planted it in Perlite and followed instructions

on the
perlite bag. They are in a small greenhouse I purchased at

Home Depot.
There's still water in it, but not as much as it was first put

it. How long
do I keep it in the greenhouse and what about the water level.

Should I
keep an eye on it and add water if it gets really low. When do

I start to
transfer the clippings from the greenhouse into a pot.

Tony Busko
Redondo Beach, CA - Zone 10

In Redondo Beach, I probably wouldn't have put them in a
greenhouse to begin with. But, I hasten to add, it didn't hurt.
I don't know what you mean by "there's still water in it" (IT,
presumably, being the greenhouse). Did this thing have a water
reservoir that was supposed to automatically keep the cuttings
moist/damp/wet? If so, be VERY careful with it. I'd guess that
it would be easier for this reservoir to keep things too wet than
too dry -- or even just right. The medium should be _just_ damp.

Is this in 100% perlite? If so, the water you've used probably
came mostly from evaporation, and maybe a little transpiration
from the leaves.

Whatever, a week is MUCH too short a period to expect roots --
even on a Chinese elm, which will root if you look cross-eyed at
them. Give them a month -- at least. Then grasp one of the
cuttings between thumb and forefinger and lift it GENTLY -- VERY
gently, considering this is planted in perlite. If you feel ANY
resistance, you probably have roots. Leave them alone. If there
are no roots, the cuttings probably will come out of the perlite,
no matter how gentle you think you are. Just jam them back in
and wait another month.

I wouldn't even start thinking of a pot till the end of summer.
It can come out of the greenhouse at any time. Put them in light
shade for the remainder of the summer.

I don't think I've ever heard of a 100-year-old Chinese elm.
They're not very long lived in my experience -- not that I've
quite made 100 yet. ;-)

See www.evergreengardenworks.com for articles on plant
propagation for bonsai, including cuttings.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Tony Busko

My friend's grandfather used to have a lot of bonsai's and when he passed
away, he got about 3 of them, and the others were given to some society. I
was just over at his house and had my first clipping experience. I'm hoping
everything can work out. Thank you for the advice. I did notice that on
some of the leaves, I did see what it appears to be some fuzz on the leaves.
Any idea what this is from?

So to answer your questions...

Q:'Did this thing have a water
reservoir that was supposed to automatically keep the cuttings
moist/damp/wet?'
A: No, just seems like a rectangular box with clear lid with vent holes.

Q:'Is this in 100% perlite?'
A: Yes

Tony Busko
Redondo Beach, CA Zone 10

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Key lime seedlings...transferring danny22 United Kingdom 8 14-12-2008 12:04 PM
[IBC] IBC/REC.ARTS.BONSAI, SPAM and etc. (was: Sticky, white stuff, etc.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 02-06-2004 03:03 PM
transferring fish Hobbit Ponds 3 03-07-2003 02:08 AM
Safe Temperature For Transferring Goldfish John Ferman Ponds 2 08-05-2003 02:56 PM