Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] Pomegranate training

akrummel wrote:

mauricio
pomegranate
I have about 5 pomegranate grown from seeds. I started them more than 5
years ago and they still have trunks not much thicker than a pencil.
Well, maybe a thick pencil. I have observed much the same growth habits
that you have. They are all still in training pots and they do grow
vigorously. I grow them outdoors in the summer (ne ohio, zone 5) and
indoors under lights in the winter.

I can tell you that they will stand cutting back quite a bit. I let them
grow unchecked and then cut them back hard. They back-bud easily.

Does anyone have any advice on how to mature these things? I have them
in quart or gallon size nursery pots. Should they go into bigger pots?
Are they simply slow maturing when in pots? I just keep them fed and
growing but progress is slow.

I´ve also tried growing them from seed. One way to get the trunk to
thicken is to cut vertical along the trunk with a scalpel. This will
cause the callus to thicken. On the pomegranite you want a gnarly bark
so its no problem.
I cut of the apex and held the top branches back while letting the lower
(sacrifice) branches grow free. I wonder if this was such a good idea, I
probably should have let the apex grow free as well.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Pomegranate Louis Brooks Bonsai 16 02-02-2005 01:18 AM
[IBC] pomegranate bonsai seeds Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 30-12-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate seeds john heller Bonsai 0 26-11-2003 06:22 AM
Pomegranate training Mauricio Drelichman Bonsai 2 01-03-2003 09:28 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Training Boxes and Containers Mark Hill Bonsai 1 24-02-2003 08:10 PM