Old 01-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] Pomegranate training

akrummel wrote:

mauricio
pomegranate
I have about 5 pomegranate grown from seeds. I started them more than 5
years ago and they still have trunks not much thicker than a pencil.
Well, maybe a thick pencil. I have observed much the same growth habits
that you have. They are all still in training pots and they do grow
vigorously. I grow them outdoors in the summer (ne ohio, zone 5) and
indoors under lights in the winter.

I can tell you that they will stand cutting back quite a bit. I let them
grow unchecked and then cut them back hard. They back-bud easily.

Does anyone have any advice on how to mature these things? I have them
in quart or gallon size nursery pots. Should they go into bigger pots?
Are they simply slow maturing when in pots? I just keep them fed and
growing but progress is slow.

I´ve also tried growing them from seed. One way to get the trunk to
thicken is to cut vertical along the trunk with a scalpel. This will
cause the callus to thicken. On the pomegranite you want a gnarly bark
so its no problem.
I cut of the apex and held the top branches back while letting the lower
(sacrifice) branches grow free. I wonder if this was such a good idea, I
probably should have let the apex grow free as well.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-03-2003, 12:18 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 3/1/2003 2:50:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Does anyone have any advice on how to mature these things? I have them
in quart or gallon size nursery pots. Should they go into bigger pots?
Are they simply slow maturing when in pots? I just keep them fed and
growing but progress is slow.

I have been working extensively with Pomegranate for approximately 15+ years.
This Punica is a wonder specimen for bonsai culture, but its development
from immature material requires extreme patience.

1. During the first 5+ years, allow the specimen to grow in an oversized
container. At this juncture in time, be certain Superfeed the tree. This
will help to accelerate growth. Do not allow extremely low branches to
remain on the tree, especially spoke branches, as these can leave undesirable
swellings. The goal here is to create a trunk--period.

2. Once the trunk reaches a 1-2 inch diameter (based on your preference),
completely remove the top of the tree, leaving approximately 5+ inches of the
trunk. The trunk chop need NOT be cut on a diagonal. Continue to Superfeed
the tree.

3. During the next 5 years, select a lead for the top, selectively allow
secondary and tertiary branches to grow, and begin the task of carving out
the remnants of the trunk chop scar.

4. Ramification will become your primary focus at this time, and what can be
achieved with Pomegranate is literally breathtaking, in my opinion. However,
continue to Superfeed.

I have placed a JPEG of a Pomegranate on the home page of my site. I will
eventually link this to a page where you can enlarge the image and read about
the history of this tree.

Patience Grasshoppers: Working from seedling can press one's patience.
That's why you need other trees. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-03-2003, 02:28 AM
Steven-Royal Gold Reps

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

Michael, thanks for posting the link to your site. Unfortunately, the
picture you refer to does not load when I go there.

I also have a question for you. Do pomegranates air layer very well. I
have a friend with some very mature stock as far as I can tell, maybe
a dwarf variety.

Steven

[IBC] Pomegranate Louis Brooks Bonsai 16 02-02-2005 01:18 AM
[IBC] pomegranate bonsai seeds Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 30-12-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] Pomegranate seeds john heller Bonsai 0 26-11-2003 06:22 AM
Pomegranate training Mauricio Drelichman Bonsai 2 01-03-2003 09:28 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Training Boxes and Containers Mark Hill Bonsai 1 24-02-2003 08:10 PM