Old 05-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Louis Brooks

Default [IBC] Pomegranate

As a birthday gift my wife bought me a pomegranate
from New England Bonsai. The tree is about 10 years
old and looks to have had some minimal styling done.
It has above ground roots and decent branch structure
plus the usual rough spots for a young tree.

I am not too familiar with this species so I am
looking for information on the care of pomegranates.
If anyone could please point me in the right direction
to books, websites, etc with information on
pomegranates I would be most grateful. Also if anyone
has links to pictures of some more mature specimens I
would like to see what potential these trees have.

Thank you,

Louis Brooks
Tallahassee, Florida

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Louis Brooks

Oops, sorry. I had meant to put my location in my sig
and forgot. I am located in North Flordia, Tallahassee
to be exact. I have your site bookmarked, so I will go
check it out as soon as I get a breather here at work.

Thanks,

Louis
--- Michael Persiano wrote:
In a message dated 2/5/2003 10:05:29 AM Eastern
Standard Time, writes:

am not too familiar with this species so I am
looking for information on the care of

pomegranates.
If anyone could please point me in the right

direction
to books, websites, etc with information on
pomegranates I would be most grateful. Also if

anyone
has links to pictures of some more mature

specimens I
would like to see what potential these trees have.

Louis:

You will find a mature specimen on the home page of
my site. I have not yet posted much on this 15 year
project from seedling.

As for Pomegranate care, tell us where you live, and
we can intelligently respond with specifics about
this world-class specimen for bonsai culture.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

++++Sponsored, in part, by Jerry
Meislik++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-02-2003, 06:18 PM
Jim Lewis

As a birthday gift my wife bought me a pomegranate
from New England Bonsai. The tree is about 10 years
old and looks to have had some minimal styling done.
It has above ground roots and decent branch structure
plus the usual rough spots for a young tree.

I am not too familiar with this species so I am
looking for information on the care of pomegranates.
If anyone could please point me in the right direction
to books, websites, etc with information on
pomegranates I would be most grateful. Also if anyone
has links to pictures of some more mature specimens I
would like to see what potential these trees have.

Thank you,

Louis Brooks
Tallahassee, Florida

Colin Lewis' "Bonsai Survival Manual", Harry Tomlinson's
"Complete Book of Bonsai (also sold under: R&D Home Handbooks,
"Bonsai"), Simon and Schuster's "Bonsai", and Adams' "The Art of
Flowering Bonsai" all have quite a bit about them. Several
Bonsai Today also have articles on Pomegranate.

You need to join us Sunday at the Tallahassee Bonsai Society
meeting.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 06-02-2003, 02:14 PM
wsallen

Virtually indestructable in my experience, in Western Australia. I have a
minature pomegranate, which has coped with everything from +40degC to the
occasional 0-3degC. I have seen full pomegranates fruiting (regularly and
well) in the north of WA in a mining town (ie. no care apart from sprinkler
for water) at temps that are above 30degC during all of summer and more
regularly above 42-44degC. This environment had a lot of salt as well.
You also do not have one tree, you have as many as you can cut off the tree
and put into the ground. :+)
Prone to 'twigginess' and if you want fruit fertilising is a must.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie

Old 06-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Joe St. Lawrence

I would add International Bonsai 2001, No. 2 to this list. Back issues can
be ordered from Bill Valavanis -- about half of this issue is devoted to
pomegranate, including a detailed article from Walter Pall. Well worth it.

-joe
Ottawa
(where my pomegranate is leafeless and cold in my garage, poor thing)

Old 30-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Michael Persiano

Iris writes:

I think we have the same situation that I ran across with the elm. My
understanding is that there is a specific cultivar of Punica granatum called

'Nejikan' which is a standard, not dwarf, and naturally grows with a twisted
trunk. I just bought a dwarf Pomegranate, no twisted trunk I can see, but the
seller swore she has been growing these for years, they come from Korea, & the
Koreans always call them Nejikan. Can anyone enlighten me?

Iris:

Nejikan is a style of bonsai. The dwarf Punica, the Nana, will not naturally develop into a twisted trunk. However, it is always possible that you did not purchase a dwarf. );-)

The Punica in my personal collection is a dwarf. One the wonderful traits of working with the dwarf of the species is its ability to develop fine ramifications through the application of bonsai technique.

Enjoy the tree! I have enjoyed mine for the past 16 years.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob
Michael

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2004, 02:34 PM
William Valavanis

Hi Iris:

The twisted trunk cultivar of Pomegranate is called 'Nejikan'. This
means twisted trunk. The term is also used for a style of bonsai. But,
more importantly, it is a valid cultivar name.

Now, many of the twisted trunk ('Nejikan') pomegranate bonsai in Japan
came from Korea, specifically, Cheji Island. Perhaps the most famous
specimens came from Korea also. Just as an aside, the finest Korean
hornbeam bonsai in Japan are also Korean imports. They imported the
trunks and developed and refined the branching.

Hope this helps. I do not know of a dwarf cultivar of pomegranate which
has twisted bark...

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2004, 03:02 PM
William Valavanis

Iris:

I do not think the Japanese call all their elm "nire" willy nilly. Nire
means elms. The Japanese are pretty careful when naming cultivars. It
is the English speaking world that does not understand the Japanese
bonsai world that gets things goofed up and makes a mess of things....

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Michael Persiano

Bill writes:

Hi Iris:

The twisted trunk cultivar of Pomegranate is called 'Nejikan'. This
means twisted trunk. The term is also used for a style of bonsai. But,
more importantly, it is a valid cultivar name.

Well . . . it is not black and white. This is actually a nomenclatural mystery! You may all find this of interest:

The following is the perspective of from Dr. Donglin Zhang (University of Maine) and Dr. Mike Dirr (University of ... Punica granatum 'Nejikan':

"Punica granatum 'Nejikan' (Punicaceae) twisted pomegranate
A nomenclatural mystery! These plants are derived from rooted stem cuttings from a plant brought in by J. C. Raulston in 1988. While the brilliant orange double flowers are without a doubt beautiful, the validity of the cultivar name remains up in the air. "Nejikan" refers to a style of bonsai in which the trunk of the specimen is twisted. While our specimen growing in China Valley is neither bonsai nor possessing a twisted trunk, the leaves do have a kink / twist to them. Yellow fall color. Hardy through the warmer part of Zone 7. Plant in a protected location in the cooler parts of zone 7. (1 gallon, 6-12" tall)41 plants are available."

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-01-2005, 02:14 PM

In a message dated 1/31/05 12:03:38 AM, Theo writes:
maybe you should not use florescente lighs mine are outside* on a balcony
all year* , and under a plastic* shelter* roof now

That's what I mean by location. What is the coldest it can possibly get
outdoors where you have the pomegranate? As far as I know, Punica is listed for
Zone 8. Add a zone for container growing and a dwarf cultivar, and the minimum
temperature this tree could stand is 20 F, -6 C. I got a little careless last
week & forgot to turn on the heater one night, & it went down to 15, -10 C in
the sunporch. I'm afraid it would have killed the pomegranate. In addition, if I
gave a pomegranate a normal Zone 5 dormant period, from October to April, I
doubt if it would ever bloom.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 31-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Theo

In a message dated 1/31/05 12:03:38 AM, Theo writes:

maybe you should not use florescente lighs mine are outside on a balcony
all year , and under a plastic shelter roof now

That's what I mean by location. What is the coldest it can possibly get
outdoors where you have the pomegranate? As far as I know, Punica is listed for
Zone 8. Add a zone for container growing and a dwarf cultivar, and the minimum
temperature this tree could stand is 20 F, -6 C. I got a little careless last
week & forgot to turn on the heater one night, & it went down to 15, -10 C in
the sunporch. I'm afraid it would have killed the pomegranate. In addition, if I
gave a pomegranate a normal Zone 5 dormant period, from October to April, I
doubt if it would ever bloom.
Iris

Hi Iris
I am in zone 7 but we have many Grenades all over the prk in plain
ground I know it is different but they are huge about 3-4 meters tall
I think that for the plants that loose their leaves you should mybe
put them in the basement or garage no leaves no clorphillian function
so they can hibernate in the dark justa keep en eye on the soil
that as you know needs to ne moist
My bonsai growers has all his plants oustside during the winther in a
north position quite cold and I even sow Stewartia monodelpha and
grenades and maples and he said that are used to ..
another valid solution for you in zone 5 is to bury the pot under
mulch or peat in a wooden box .. it will protect the roots ..

I sow my Serissa the leaves are still green and the soils a bucket of
ice well it is 6 cuttings so I did not spend a penny after all ..
but I wish will survive

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :