Old 13-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Corcoran. Bil

Default [IBC] Delay of game Trident & Elm

After seeing the posts about the delayed opening Trident Maple I thought
I'd pass on this tidbit.

I have a Trident Maple and Chinese Elm that were over wintered in an
unheated garage. I am in Northeastern PA (Zone 5-6). The Trident Maple
buds are popping but opening very slowly and those leaves that have
opened fully are still light green and darkening. They have been
opening very reluctantly now for several weeks.

My Chinese Elm JUST popped its first tiny buds yesterday. I was
convinced the Elm was dead until I saw the tiny buds starting to form
last week. Now here we are on May 13th and it's just starting to pop.

I attributed it all to the severe cold winter we had and the borderline
spring we've been having. Last night dropped to 40-degrees F!

I have another Trident Maple that spent the winter about 2 hours south
of me that is in full dark green leaf and has been for several weeks and
all of my other trees seems fine.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++