Old 18-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Daniel Avrin

Default [IBC] Ginkgo biloba air layering

Any suggestions on this? I have a 7 foot Ginkgo in my back yard that I'd
like to take several air layers from in preparation for bonsai-ing the main trunk
in a few years. I tried one air layer a few years ago and unfortunately it
died before being parted from the mother plant. ??

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,
Daniel Avrin
Do not attempt to adjust your computer. We have control ....

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Marty Haber

Dan: As in every air layer, the time you do it is crucial. I'm in zone 7,
and I like to do it just after the last frost occurs here. That would be
about April 15. Probably two weeks later in Denver. You might get away
with it now, but get acrackin'.
Marty
Any suggestions on this? I have a 7 foot Ginkgo in my back yard that I'd
like to take several air layers from in preparation for bonsai-ing the

main trunk
in a few years. I tried one air layer a few years ago and unfortunately

it
died before being parted from the mother plant. ??

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards,
Daniel Avrin
Do not attempt to adjust your computer. We have control ....

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

At last, a question I feel that I may make a small contribution to. Let me
tell you about my ginkgo and then make a suggestion.

A little over two years ago, I obtained a vandalized stump of ginkgo which
the University was removing and throwing away. Almost 4' tall to the break
(that's just over a meter for those working in a rational measuring system),
with good taper low down and no remaining branches. Put it in a growing pot
(cut-off bottom of a plastic barrel) and it broke back all over but
especially near the top. Long shoots, leaves, the whole works.

Last spring it was repotted with root work to correct poor planting
practices by the original landscaper. This spring I wanted to trunk chop to
get it down to a more manageable height but hated to loose all the high
branching. So I cut off the top at a point which had bark all around the
trunk (told you it was vandalized!), pruned everything back to two or three
leaves, treated it with rooting compound and put it in a cut-down nursery
pot with a mix of perlite and pine bark. It has rewarded me with some leaf
die-off (brown tips which I have leaf pruned) but it continues to put out
new leaves although slowly. The kicker here is the "cutting" is over an
inch and a half in diameter and about a foot high not counting the leader
which developed at the original break. No misting system, no green house,
just on a shady growing bench and watered when the pick says "dry".

Now, here is my suggestion; next spring (maybe now, someone else may be able
to answer timing questions) try a cutting of one of the old wood branches.
Think big, especially if you are going to cut off the branch later anyway.
If my memory serves, you are in dry Denver. You might want to mist or ICU
baggy the cutting. I'm tickled with my ginkgo. That sucker really wants to
grow! Between the chainsaw massacre and the trunk chop, it has every excuse
to curl up and quit but it's still ticking!! By all means try the layer
(perhaps the winter layering as described in BT #2) and let us know how it
works out. But also, try a big cutting. If my experience is any
indication, you will be pleasantly suppressed. Watch the humidity though,
Florida has it, Denver doesn't.

Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a

Old 20-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Shelly Hurd

Dan,
I think you just treat this like any other air-layer (Acer, Myrtus etc.).
The thing that concerns me most is the time factor. I don't know if you
have enough time now for the roots to form sufficiently to remove the layer
before your winter sets in. Then of course, big-time over winter protection
will be required. I agree with Marty, DO IT NOW if you're going to, and
come back to us to let us know how the roots form sometime in September.

Regards, and Good Luck,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 20-06-2003, 08:08 PM
David J. Bockman

Because old wood on Ginko is so very prone to rot, every book I've read that
deals with airlayering reads to always cover with sealant the base of the
airlayer.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

**************
**************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Ginkgo Biloba seedlings Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 18-03-2005 08:30 PM
[IBC] Ginkgo biloba in South Florida? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-07-2004 11:02 PM
Website Ginkgo biloba CorK Gardening 0 18-10-2003 11:22 PM
[IBC] Ginkgo Biloba Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 22-05-2003 01:44 PM
Ginkgo Biloba Bjoern Bartusch Bonsai 0 21-05-2003 10:32 PM