Old 23-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Ficus Wiandi/Riandi

Nathan: Mary Miller wrote an informative post about this a couple of years ago on
this forum. It is quoted below.
Alan Walker
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
===============================
In 1993 a company called Agri Starts introduced two Ficus to the US that were new
cultivars from Holland: Ficus Rianne and Ficus Wiandi

When they are small they are difficult to differentiate. They have similar
zig zag pattern of growth, same brittleness -- however the Wiandi grows more
vertically dominant. Of the two Rianne is probably the better choice for bonsai.

It is an easy to grow plant and extremely durable indoors. It is fast
growing (and very brittle) so 'clip and grow' techniques are a good way to
style this one.
Mary Miller
South of Miami, FL
==============
Nathan Kilah wrote:
I recently bought a Ficus Wiandi/Riandi labeled as an "Oriental Ficus" even
though I have discovered it was developed in Holland.

The plant is very visually appealing, however the branches are
exceptionally fragile. Whilst in the nursery choosing a plant I snapped off
two branches (don't worry I still bought the plant) when seeing how I would
style it as a bonsai.

Does any one have any specific information on their training as bonsai. The
particular style of branching in a zig-zagged manner looks slightly
difficult to control with a clip and grow technique.
Thanks in advance
Nathan Kilah
Department of Chemistry University of Queensland
Brisbane Queensland, 4072 Australia

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Jerry Meislik

Nathan,
The two benjamina varieties you list are very fragile and even super
delicate wiring is just too risky. The branches snap off without any warning
crack sensation or sound. Although clip and grow is difficult it is really
the only safe way to handle this material.
Good luck.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
I recently bought a Ficus Wiandi/Riandi labelled as an "Oriental Ficus" even
though I have discovered it was developed in Holland.

The plant is very visually appealling, however the branches are

[IBC] wiandi ficus Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 14-04-2005 04:40 PM
[IBC] Ficus 'Wiandi' sbudi Bonsai 0 23-06-2003 04:44 PM
Ficus 'Wiandi' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 23-06-2003 03:08 PM
Ficus Wiandi/Riandi Nathan Kilah Bonsai 1 23-06-2003 01:08 PM
[IBC] Ficus disease(IBC galery) Carlos P. Bonsai 1 06-04-2003 06:56 PM