Old 28-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] i know its early .. but

I know its little early.... but i have wintering question. My girlfriend
just bought me a beautiful trident maple bonsai. established in a pot, 4
inch trunk... only ramifying and refining to work on.. i love it! trouble
is i never wintered a trident. My options are limited in that i dont have a
hoophouse or a cold frame.
or anwhere to build one right now. i have been succesful at wintering my
hardy trees by mulching them and wind breaking. I plan to do
the same for the trident... but i worry about the temperature range. IT
gets cold around here.. in the 20's and teens for weeks some times in
southeastern Pennsylvania. I could maybe put it in the basement.. but i
dont think it stays below 40 down there all time. theres the outside
shed/garge... but the temperature would still drop inside. OR someone elses
garage that's attached to the house. but then i wouldnt be there to monitor
temperature. But what about diggin a hole in the ground and mulching it
into the hole? would this be affective in controlling the temperature
around the roots?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++