Old 12-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Kiryu

could someone supply me some personal opinion/ experience about
Kiryu?
thanks in advance
Theo

What is it? Some of us MAY know it/them by another name, so tell
us what it is or what it is supposed to do.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Andy Rutledge

Old 12-07-2003, 09:56 PM
elize marie mann

I for one use Kiryu a lot.
New yamadori-material from the Alps go in a 100% Kiryu for a few years till
they are stable. My other repotting I do in a mixture of Akadama-Kiryu and
if necessary with addition of some split. Depending on the tree-species.
Percentages vary from 50-50 to 80-20 Akadama-Kiryu.

For me this works quite good.The only other thing I use is the Kanuma for my
azalea's.
But then again I think it is just what you are used to and feel comfortable
with.

Try and keep them small (and even more important alive)
elize.

-----------------

Kiryu is not a good bonsai soil component, in my opinion. It holds too

much
moisture and there are other kinds of sand/grit that are cheaper, easily
obtained and do not keep the soil too wet.

btw, for those who asked, kiryu is a river sand from Japan. It is

supposed
to function as a grit or aggregate in bonsai soil (except that it holds

too
much water).

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.bonsai365.com/ :: living bonsai every day
zone 8, Texas

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Thanks x Kiryu Theo Bonsai 2 13-07-2003 09:18 AM
Kiryu Theo Bonsai 0 12-07-2003 08:32 AM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM