Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Alan Zucker

Default [IBC] Hardwood forest planting

Looking for suggestion for a mixed forest.

Which species?
How many species and how many of each?

I was thinking Hornbeam/Trident Maple?

Alan Zucker zone 6b
You're never to old to learn. You can learn from both beginner and expert.

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Kitsune Miko

There is the family version of doing a forest where
the patriarch is the biggest tree and his "family"
surrounds him being positioned as to their
relationship. So if the tridents "marry" into the
Hornbeam family, you would have your answer on how to
mix them...or not.

Forests are always an odd number of trees. Quantity
depends on whether you are looking at a forest close
up (pot jammed full) or viewing from a distance (see
the space between the trees).

Note that a mixed planting is not considered
"Traditional". The idea is to concentrate on the
similarity of the trees to show off composition rather
than tree differences.

Another way would be to show one type as the main tree
and another type as the under growth.

Kitsune Miko

--- Alan Zucker wrote:
Looking for suggestion for a mixed forest.

Which species?
How many species and how many of each?

I was thinking Hornbeam/Trident Maple?

Alan Zucker zone 6b
You're never to old to learn. You can learn from
both beginner and expert.

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page
++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Martin

I'm not saying it can't be done, but .... I've never a convincing one. In
a forest, trees usally grow in clumps -
100 oaks, 50 pines, 200 birch, etc. In addition, trees which like the same
soil conditions tend to grow together.
Here on Long Island, you'll find Pinus rigida growing together with scrub
oak because they both like sandy, acid soil. So you have to take that into
consideration when planning a mixed forest. You don't want a redwood
growing next to Norway spruce. You also have to consider the landscape
features. Some trees like to seed themselves among rocks, while others like
open fields. Some like river banks (willows), while others like cliffs
(P. Thunbergia). Finally, you need to think about the total forest picture.
In nature, some trees grow best on the edges of forests ( dogwood,
andromeda, mountain laurel) while others grow straight up in the middle
(Lodgepole pine). When you're all through, you have to put all your
planning into a tray of about 18" or 24". I guess that's why I haven't seen
any mixed forests that hit me in the solar plexus.
Marty

Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Jim Lewis

--- Alan Zucker wrote:
[...]

As Marty notes in another message, it's often hard to get a mixed
forest to look "right." Part of this is probably bonsai
tradition (we're used to single-species forests) and part of this
is the biological fact that all species don't grow at the same
rate or in the same way. In a mixed forest, one species is
almost bound to outgrow the others. Assuming you want the look
of an even-age forest, disparate growing rates can be a problem.

They are rare (but not totally unheard of) in Japanese bonsai,
and more common in Chinese penjing, though the Chinese groupings
(that I have seen) are usually rather sparsely planted and
usually mix a conifer and a deciduous or flowering tree.

Usually, I think, you still will want a preponderance of one
species, perhaps with the major tree and one other small one
being of the different species.

Then you will want trees that will both take the same watering
and fertilization regime, and that can both stand the same amount
of sun (which would eliminate trident maples from almost any
planting where I am), etc. This can be a difficult feat also.

Both the Audubon and the Peterson nature field guides have guides
to various environments in North America. These will tell you
which trees tend to grow together in nature; around my area, the
typical climax vegetation for broadleafed trees is
beech-magnolia, or oak-hickory-beech-magnolia. Understory trees
would include hophornbeam (drier sites) hornbeam (in damp sites),
American red maple (damp), and American holly (dry). Dry sites
also would have a liberal sprinkling of loblolly pine. You might
look for one of these in your local library (I've never found a
reason to buy one ;-).

Have fun.

Old 10-08-2003, 05:22 AM
MartyWeiser

I remember seeing a nice mixed hardwood forest in the US National Collection
that was being pruned last weekend. I don't remember if it was in the North
American or the Japanese pavilion - although I lean towards the NA.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Rob Kempinski

Mixed forests aren't that rare. I saw several in my trips to Japan. Saburo Kato's book
Forest, Rock Planting and Ezo Spruse Bonsai have photos of three nice one.

Rob Kempinski
Melbourne, Fl

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++