Old 15-10-2002, 09:33 AM
Carol Russell

Default clematis. hardwood cuttings

Can I take hardwood cuttings of clematis tang'. I ask because although I
propagate quite a lot I can never root clematis cuttings by the usual
methods.

--
Art

Garden Web http://www.gardenweb.com
My Garden Web exchange page http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/art1952

Old 15-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Emrys Davies

'Carol',

August or September are the best months for leaf-bud cuttings of
clematis but you still stand a good chance of success now.

1. Cut off a strong shoot with several leaves.
2. Make a clean cut immediately above the bud that
rests in the leaf axil.
3. Cut straight across the stem about 1½" below the
leaf bud.
4. Place the cutting in an equal mixture (by volume) of
compost and perlite with the bud level with the
compost.
5. Water well, drain and stand in a propagator, on a
heated bench or on the greenhouse staging. If you
have no greenhouse a cold frame will do.
6. Shield from hot sun and spray with a fine spray
regularly. Failing this, a plastic bag over the top of
the cuttings will retain humidity. Make a little tent
over the pot with the use of twigs and an elastic
band.

Good luck,
Emrys Davies.

Old 16-10-2002, 08:17 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Carol Russell" wrote in message

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't find it as easy as Mr T says it
is.

Carol, you can do hard woods in winter but take rates are usually low and C.
tangutica is not easy by this method and is most easily done by seed
(unless its a named form) taking green cuttings, the percentage take
increases the earlier you take them, I generally start in march and try and
finish by may, with clematis rooting is the easy bit, its getting the
resulting plants though the first winter thats tricky!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk