Old 17-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Beginner Help with pruning and ideas!

Hi all, I tried to post on the IBC website, but I'm too dumb to
figure
it out!

Choosing a udername and password is no toughter thare than
anywhere else. Then read the posting guidelines. If _I_ can do
it . . .

Anyways, I have this Juniper nana I bought a couple of weeks
ago, I've been letting it adjust to the temperature here(and

because
it was shipped)...I'll be ready to prune probably next week,

however,
I don't have anyone close by that can show me what to do,

Where are you from? There may be someone closer than you think.
There's no hurry to prune. In fact, mid and late summer may not
be the most opportune time. Maybe you want to read a few more
books. Colin Lewis' "The Art of Bonsai Design" goes into some
detail on working with junipers.

I've been
checking out bonsai books from every library up to wazoo. But I

don't
know what exactly to prune, what not to, and I don't know how

to train
it. The tree is a bit weird I think.

We have an on-line juniper class on our website. You might read
through that, too.

Anyways, I would very much
appreciate it if someone could email me and then I can send 2

sketches
and a real picture of the bonsai to you, so you can maybe give

me some
advice or a visual!

ps, some questions I've been thinking of. 1)should I tell the

guy
where I bought the plant that I'd like to buy some soil from

him,
since my juniper is already used to it?

May be a good idea

Or is that Akadema(sp?) soil good?

Yes, but maybe not for your juniper,

2) Should I protect against pests, and if so, with what?

Don't worry about them 'till you see some.

3)my nephew decided to go digging in the gallon bucket the

bonsai is
in, and a little soil got missing, just a bit, and now today, I

think
I can see some roots on the very top of the soil, they appear

to be
dead, but should I worry?

How, dead? Upper roots are often brown.

I should note here that this is NOT the time of year when you
want to put this tree into a new pot!

by the way, the plant looks great, very healthy, I think...

Good. Junipers are pretty tough. But don't be in too much of a
hurry to DO something. Plants don't have legs; they can't get
away from you.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++