Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Barb

Default [IBC] Root over Rock planting

Afternoon all,
I have a Mimosia tree that stands about 28" or so high, this tree's top
most roots, from the start were above the ground. There is about 2" or so of
air between the base of the tree and the dirt. I want to plant this over a
rock. Here is my question, should I wait till the tree goes dormant in the
fall or would it be ok to go ahead and transplant it now. These trees are
almost impossable to kill around here, and their roots systems grow hugh and
a lot of them show above ground in a mature tree.. I live in Southeast
Texas..
Sure hope "Isaobell" goes out into the vast Alantic...
Barb

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Kitsune Miko

Barb,

It is always good to give a tree the best chance of
survival. That includes transplanting when dormant.

Kitsune Miko

--- Barb wrote:
Afternoon all,
I have a Mimosia tree that stands about 28" or so
high, this tree's top
most roots, from the start were above the ground.
There is about 2" or so of
air between the base of the tree and the dirt. I
want to plant this over a
rock. Here is my question, should I wait till the
tree goes dormant in the
fall or would it be ok to go ahead and transplant it
now. These trees are
almost impossable to kill around here, and their
roots systems grow hugh and
a lot of them show above ground in a mature tree.. I
live in Southeast
Texas..
Sure hope "Isaobell" goes out into the vast
Alantic...
Barb

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale
Cochoy++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 15-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Jim Lewis

--- Barb wrote:
Afternoon all,
I have a Mimosia tree that stands about 28" or so
high, this tree's top
most roots, from the start were above the ground.
There is about 2" or so of
air between the base of the tree and the dirt. I
want to plant this over a
rock. Here is my question, should I wait till the
tree goes dormant in the
fall or would it be ok to go ahead and transplant it
now. These trees are
almost impossable to kill around here, and their
roots systems grow hugh and
a lot of them show above ground in a mature tree.. I
live in Southeast
Texas..
Sure hope "Isaobell" goes out into the vast
Alantic...
Barb

Looks like the storm is pointing to somewhere between northern
North Carolina and New Jersey. But it's still early.

As for the aerial roots and placing them over a rock . . .

It is very difficult to force mature, woody roots to conform to a
rock's shape. The normal route is to grow them over the rock in
the first place.

You might try to find a rock that approximates the shape the
roots have, slather that rock with peat-based muck and past the
roots on with the muck -- covering them completely and thickly
with the muck, then burying the entire mucky mess into a deep
grow box up to the base of the trunk that you want to be exposed.
Grow it there for several years -- that is SEVERAL years -- then
slowly "erode" the soil from around the base of the tree,
gradually exposing the rock and the roots (including, we hope, a
batch of fresh new roots which have grown from the old roots and
have clung to the rock.