Old 26-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Pinus sylvestris

There is a large vacant area near me with an army and a half of P. sylvestris
seedlings of assorted sizes, but before I dig any up, I need to know a little
more. These are the standard variety of whatever was planted all over the
Northeastern US some years ago. The soil is loose & sandy, so they should be
easy to dig.
Being in part shade (of the adults) they are kind of stringy. Will they bud
back on the trunk if they are given the right conditions?
Can the trunks be wired into curves if they are, say, about an inch thick?
How much of a root ball do we need to take?
Can these go directly into a nursery pot with coarse bonsai soil, or do they
have to go into the ground for a year to recover? I know many years ago I dug
up similar P. sylvestris for a windbreak & had no trouble with them at all.
How much sun does P. sylvestris need? One of my buddies would like a pine tree
but he doesn't have a lot of sun.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."