Old 06-12-2003, 02:34 PM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] Pinus thunbergii 'Mikawa'

If anyone has a photo or two to share of this tree in nature (although close
ups of the foliage of a bonsai are acceptable), I'd appreciate seeing them.
Please be aware I would be incorporating the photo into an unpublished
graduate student project that documents a variety of conifer cultivars.

You ask, "Why don't you just snap some photos of your little Mikawa, Dave?"
Its needles have been extensively thinned and arranged this past November,
and I don't feel it accurately portrays how the tree would look in nature at
this time.

Thanks, if anyone can help,

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-12-2003, 03:32 PM
William Valavanis

David:

There is no such thing as Pinus thunbergi 'Mikawa'.

Mikawa is a district in Japan on the Atsumi and Chita Peninsula in
Aichi Prefecture. Any Japanese black pine, Pinus thunbergi which comes
from that area can be called "Mikawa".

So, Mikawa is a provenence source for Japanese black pine. It should
not be labeled as a cultivar or used with single quotation marks.

Hope this helps clarify the correct use of the word Mikawa.

By the way, Heritage Seedlings in Oregon was selling seedlings of
Mikawa Japanese black pine a few years ago. As you well know, cultivars
can not be propagated by seed, only vegetatively (grafts, cuttings,
layers, division or microculture).

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-12-2003, 03:32 PM
David J. Bockman

My mistake, Bill, for using the correct 'labeling' for an inaccurate label
of a group of pines.

If anyone has any photos of Pinus thunbergii originating from the Chita
Peninsula of Aichi Prefecture, and typified by the characteristics of
shorter than average needles, and shorter, more congested branching, trees
of which are loosely described as Kashima-matsu or Mikawa-matsu.........

I would appreciate it.