Old 30-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Ficus sap.

All Ficus (figs) have white sap.

If I remember correctly, Ficus carica, the edible fig, does

not.

Oh, but it does. I have been trying to kill one in the front
yard for 5 years and it just will NOT die. I cut it to the
ground every fall (and it bleeds white), then spray roundup on it
in the spring -- and it springs! I have built a bonfire over its
roots, and salted the ground. It still grows back!

Aaaargh!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Kelly

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
All Ficus (figs) have white sap.

If I remember correctly, Ficus carica, the edible fig, does

not.

Oh, but it does. I have been trying to kill one in the front
yard for 5 years and it just will NOT die. I cut it to the
ground every fall (and it bleeds white), then spray roundup on it
in the spring -- and it springs! I have built a bonfire over its
roots, and salted the ground. It still grows back!

Aaaargh!

I'm happy to hear that the figs are hardy! I'm not very good with plants
and this is my first tropical bonsai. I hope I can keep it living.

Kelly

Ficus sap. Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 30-09-2003 03:02 PM
Looking for help identifying a tree, and methods to control sap (if possible) Dennis Forbes Gardening 12 12-09-2003 08:12 PM
Looking for help identifying a tree, and methods to control sap (if possible) Dennis Forbes Plant Science 14 10-09-2003 10:03 PM
Big pine tree dropping sap mike boucher Gardening 2 04-09-2003 06:02 AM
Taxonomic ID help for tree found on Oahu; bark: tan,rough,lite fuzz leaves: elongate Sap:blood red Alexsandyr Troutnoodler Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:28 PM