Old 24-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Collecting large bougainvillea

Terry Smith wrote:

"Mike Bunnell" wrote in news:ci4mb.74992
$La.16802@fed1read02:

A coworker has offered two large (maybe 10-inch diameter trunk)
bougainvillea -- all I have to do is dig them up.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

From my experiences, you can probably do no wrong as long as
you get some decent roots.

In November '01, Thanksgiving weekend, I collected a fairly
large bougainvilla that my father had grown in Daytona,
Florida.

The plant was taken to Massachusetts and grown under lights
the first winter. It has thrived since then, and has been cut
down to a small tree while developing new branches.

Collecting Details:

The plant was 6' high, the trunk was about 3" to 4" diameter.

I cut the plant down to about 3 feet tall, and dug out the
rootball to about 20" in diameter, maybe 9" deep. When I
cut the height down, I was careful to make sure some leaves
were retained on each stalk.

snip

The plant was about 1 foot high by summer, and was repotted
into Turface mix in warm weather. The two summers since
collecting have been used to begin new branching. The
tree will be a spreading, deciduous-style beast.

Good luck in your collecting.

Terry:
Is this where the bougie cutting you gave me last year came from? It's doing well,
now with a 3/4" trunk, pushing a half inch, and is developing nicely into a
semi-cascade tree!

Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Mike Bunnell

thanks for the input ..

i'll let y'all know how it goes!

"Craig Cowing" wrote in message
Terry Smith wrote:

"Mike Bunnell" wrote in news:ci4mb.74992
$La.16802@fed1read02:

A coworker has offered two large (maybe 10-inch diameter trunk)
bougainvillea -- all I have to do is dig them up.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

From my experiences, you can probably do no wrong as long as
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Tamarix

Some holes in the bag will limit the temperature raise while still
keeping a good hygrometry (in any case, direct sun should be avoided during
first weeks).

You don't need to find a huge bag. Little bags put on the branchs is
enough

Franck

"Jim Lewis" a écrit dans le message de news:
00d901c39c8c$b111e3c0$7f112cc7@pavilion...
In a message dated 10/27/2003 5:11:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Keeping good level of hygrometry during the first weeks will

help. This
can be achieved by using a transparent plastic bag.
Franck

This will depend upon the sun intensity where the plant is

collected. Here
in Florida it would cook the plant.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

And a Bougie with a 10-inch trunk would take a LARGE bag. I
don't know of any clear bags that are large size; the big ones
are white or black.

Misting a few times a day probably would be better.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Let us spend
one day as deliberately as Nature, and not be thrown off the
track by every nutshell and mosquito's wing that falls on the
rails. -- Henry David Thoreau

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: