Old 09-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] introduction & request for tool buying advice

Old 10-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

At 05:47 AM 11/10/03 -0600, wrote:

The difference between the two are the type of cuts they make. Concave make
a more pointed angled cut, "knob" cutters make a circular deeper cut and are
most often used to cleanup branches you remove leaving a hole that heals
easier.

When would I use the concave? I thought they were used for removing
branches, too. That's what confused me...I saw references to both being
used for removing branches.

Eric

Concave cutters (aka concave branch cutters) are used for cutting off
branches, pretty much exclusively. The jaws are angled to the handles so
that you can make a cut without the branch getting in the way. You can also
get spherical concave branch cutters. These make a true hemispherical cut
similar to knob cutters, but again the jaws are at an angle to the handles.
These are pricey, but are wonderful tools, they cut with much less force
and leave a nice rounded indentation.

Knob cutters (aka spherical knob cutters) are used for cleanup and carving.
These always have spherical jaws that are inline with the handles, perfect
for working on short stumps. When used for cutting branches, you have to
angle the cutters out of the way of the branch, making them less effective
than concave branch cutters, but it can be easily done. I have found that
the real use for knob cutters is carving large cuts. The sharp rounded jaws
will easily 'grab' the wood, even on a flat cut, and cleanly nibble out a
nice sized chunk. I haven't found anything else that works as well for this
purpose, not even power tools. The kind of carving I am talking about is
needed after you make trunk chops, usually cuts of one inch diameter or
more. These cuts usually have to be made with a saw, and thus a flat cut is
left. For rapid clean healing, you have to carve this flat cut into a
crater, usually leaving a little peak in the center. Doing this is a dream
with a knob cutter. I even have a monster knob cutter for really big cuts,
two inches or more.

For beginner purposes, a regular concave cutter of medium grade high carbon
steel is perfectly acceptable. These range from about $30 to $50. Spherical
concave branch cutters are about $60.

There is more information about tools and sharpening tools at my website.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-11-2003, 01:22 AM

Default introduction & request for tool buying advice

Brent:

Thanks for the excellent description of the differences between branch and
knob cutters. Sounds like I'll start off with a regular branch cutter, a
subscription to Bonsai Today, and a set of shears.

You've got a very informative web site. Thanks!

Eric