Old 15-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Okay . . . of the humongous number of bonsai books that are now
out of print, which would you all like to see re-published?

Dan Barton's "The Bonsai Book" would have been highest on my
list, but I found an old edition for under $50 the other day.

But for everyone else who does not have it, I'll keep it leading
my list. It is one of the classics and most useful of them all.
Another that would be high on my list (and that I do NOT have)
would be John Naka's "Bonsai Techniques for Satsuki"

Who knows, after we have a list put together maybe some
enterprising publisher(s) will buy the rights to one or more of
them.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Andy Rutledge

I agree with you, Jim, that "The Bonsai Book," is a gem and classic - my
favorite. Highly useful and inspiring. Also, before anyone brings it up,
Nick Lenz's "Bonsai From the Wild" is already in reProduction. It will be a
while, but it's coming back.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

Old 15-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Daniel Avrin

Dorothy S. Young's Bonsai:The Art and Technique is useful and nearly
impossible to find. I finally coughed up (after nearly choking) $100.00 for this book
as it was one of the very few "major" bonsai books I didn't already own.

Best Regards,
Dan Avrin
You're the prettiest thing I ever did see; Really love your peaches, want to
shake your tree. ;-)

Old 15-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Bill Neff

How about Peter Adam's book on Japanese Maples?

Glad to hear that Nick Lenz's book is being reproduced too.

Bill Neff
Topeka, KS

Old 15-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Jim Lewis

Dorothy S. Young's Bonsai:The Art and Technique is useful and
nearly
impossible to find. I finally coughed up (after nearly

choking) $100.00 for this book
as it was one of the very few "major" bonsai books I didn't

already own.

Yes. This would be on my list, too. Don't think I'd fork out
that much for it . . . but I might.

Old 15-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Jim Lewis

I have 3 of Naka's books. I keep going back to them again and
again. The other is the Murata books that I can't find in the
house right now. They are so out of print that Amazon doesn't
list them.

But Bonsai Techniques I and II aren't really out of print, are
they? I see them everywhere. What's your third one?

Old 15-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Jim Lewis

How about Peter Adam's book on Japanese Maples?

That's a good one. It went out of print so quickly, I never even
got to look at it. His "The Art of Bonsai" is another that might
be reprintable.

Old 15-11-2003, 03:42 AM
MartyWeiser

I would like to see Peter Adams' various 'Bonsai Design' and 'Art of Bonsai'
books republished since feel that they do an excellent job of conveying both
artistic concepts and the work over a period of years to bring out what the
artist sees in the trees. Optimally, all of the books would be done in one
or two volumes - a bit more costly to buy, but probably less expensive for
the publisher to do.

Marty - Spokane WA

Old 15-11-2003, 04:02 AM
David J. Bockman

If I recall our conversations correctly, Peter didn't see much $ for having
that book printed. 'Bonsai Design: Japanese Maples' was only one of the
three design books he wrote. 'Bonsai Design: Scots Pine-Common
Juniper-Japanese Larch' was the first, privately printed in what I can only
presume was very small numbers. 'Bonsai Design: Japanese Maples' was the
second, and 'Bonsai Design: Deciduous and Coniferous Trees' was the third.
ALL are outstanding, all are OOP and becoming quite difficult to find. I
would love to see 'The Art of Bonsai' updated and rereleased.

Bill Valavanis wrote one on Japanese White Pine that I have never seen but
would love to get my hands on.

The other dream would be to have all ten volumes of 'Photos of Now Famous
Bonsai', which were printed in Japan but also contained english 'subtitles'
to the photographic plates.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Old 15-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Sean Hayes

Of course what we really want is Dan's NEW book which he has been saying is
coming for a couple of years now. Apparently it will be a lot more about
design lke Andy's web book.

You can often pick up a copy of the old one on amazon for a reasonable
price.

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote in message
In a message dated 11/14/2003 8:08:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Dan Barton's "The Bonsai Book" would have been highest on my
list, but I found an old edition for under $50 the other day.

I have this one, signed by the author. An old friend passed away and

left
me the book. I got Dan to sign it on a Florida tour.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

****

Old 15-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Optimally, all of the books would be done in one
or two volumes - a bit more costly to buy, but probably less
expensive for
the publisher to do.

Goodness! What a great idea. That way, you'd only need one set
of intro, how-to-do-a-bonsai chapters which everyone seems
obligated to put into their books.

"A Peter Adams Anthology". YES!