Old 15-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

For all my earlier books, I buy from www.alibris.com and
they've never
disappointed me. You should be able to find 90% the out of

print
books you want there.

T. Jones, heart of flatland country, IL

1. Please snip extraneous material out of your replies. Thanks!

2. Not all of them -- at least not affordably. Barton's book
usually goes for near $100, and Dorothy Young's has -- thus
far -- been all but unobtainable. Naka's exists in too few
original copies to ever appear on a bookstore's inventory.

The idea here is to make some of these classics available to
all -- at a reasonable price, especially to newcomers to the
sport who don't know them.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Robert Moore

Hi Folks
I've been following this with interest. But ultimately the
difficulty is that any reprinting would need to be full colour, high
quality, wouldn't it? And a publisher would need to be looking at
substantial sales to even recoup production and printing costs.
The anthology idea is neat for a reader, but a problem for a
publisher. As the extent of the book is enlarged, the production
costs are too. It seems (to me, only as an editor, not a techo
production person) that the economies of scale are only there when
you can get good sales numbers. Making fatter books just increases
the cost of production.
Probably what could be done is to secure the rights and
reproduce things as pdf files - the production costs are much, much
less. But then they wouldn't be those beautiful, interesting, useful
objects I love so much.
The only answer, I suspect is to have bonsai ( and bonsai
book buying) become much more popular, so that the projected number
of sales entices a publisher into taking something on. I'd love to
hear of a way of doing it, otherwise. All the books quoted make me
salivate at the thought of a reprint!

Cheers

Rob

Old 16-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi Folks
I've been following this with interest. But ultimately

the
difficulty is that any reprinting would need to be full colour,

high
quality, wouldn't it? And a publisher would need to be looking

at
substantial sales to even recoup production and printing costs.
The anthology idea is neat for a reader, but a problem

for a
publisher. As the extent of the book is enlarged, the

production
costs are too. It seems (to me, only as an editor, not a techo
production person) that the economies of scale are only there

when
you can get good sales numbers. Making fatter books just

increases
the cost of production.

Well, all that is true -- unfortunately -- but one or two
publishers (Sterling comes to mind in the USA) seem to think that
there is SOME money to be made in bonsai books (mostly --
unfortunately --copy-cat beginner's books that all go over the
same information with more or less the same quility and amount of
detail). There _could_ be an incentive for these publishers to
re-print (then keep in print [or available on disk -- something
like a print-on-demand scheme]) a few books that are actually
GOOD. In the age of computers, there is less hassle in keeping
the page layouts, etc. around than there used to be with large
paste-ups, and bulky plates. You could keep most of these books
we've been talkng about stored on a single CD.

And yes, I eagerly await a look at Dan Barton's "new" book.

Old 16-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Robert Moore wrote:

Hi Folks
I've been following this with interest. But ultimately the
difficulty is that any reprinting would need to be full colour, high
quality, wouldn't it? And a publisher would need to be looking at
substantial sales to even recoup production and printing costs.
The anthology idea is neat for a reader, but a problem for a
publisher. As the extent of the book is enlarged, the production
costs are too. It seems (to me, only as an editor, not a techo
production person) that the economies of scale are only there when
you can get good sales numbers. Making fatter books just increases
the cost of production.

snip

All the books quoted make me
salivate at the thought of a reprint!

Cheers

Rob

I had a friend in Maine who had a small publishing company, and he used to say that
the first book cost $10,000, the rest were free--implying of course, that the
greatest expense is in the setup. Then you're left with the problem of selling the
books to recover the cost.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 16-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Andy Rutledge wrote:

I agree with you, Jim, that "The Bonsai Book," is a gem and classic - my
favorite. Highly useful and inspiring. Also, before anyone brings it up,
Nick Lenz's "Bonsai From the Wild" is already in reProduction. It will be a
while, but it's coming back.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

I'm not familiar with Barton's book, but I agree with Andy about Nick Lenz's book.
I'm glad to hear it's going to be republished. I'd buy the newer edition of Lenz
were to add any more photos or text.

Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 16-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Bart Thomas

----- Original Message ----- I'm not familiar with Barton's book, but I
agree with Andy about Nick Lenz's book.
I'm glad to hear it's going to be republished. I'd buy the newer edition

of Lenz
were to add any more photos or text.

That seems to be the plan. When is another matter. He was still looking for
(more) photos last month.

That's one reason why I am not jumping to cash in on the high prices that
the first edition is bringing on eBay (Last seen $114).

Old 16-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Pedro Amorim Pereira

Greetings,

I have been following this with much interest.
I really don't know if this has some interest to you, but... around
Portugal, generally, an expensive book it's a book that stays in the
bookshelf, in the library! Lets say that in 100 books you would only sell
about 5 or 6!
It has been a problem around here... of course those who are really
interested would buy... but a sell out it's better than a 5er sell! :-)
Just for an idea, one that was a success around here, and it was kind'a
"expensive", was:
The Bonsai Handbook from: David Prescott and consulting Colin Lewis
Sold at about 23 euros (more or less 23 US Dollars)

Pedro Amorim Pereira _ Porto - Portugal

http://sapp.telepac.pt/bonsai-pt/
http://www.geocities.com/pedropereira.geo

Old 16-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Bart Thomas wrote:

----- Original Message ----- I'm not familiar with Barton's book, but I
agree with Andy about Nick Lenz's book.
I'm glad to hear it's going to be republished. I'd buy the newer edition

of Lenz
were to add any more photos or text.

That seems to be the plan. When is another matter. He was still looking for
(more) photos last month.

Any time frame on this? Two, five years?

That's one reason why I am not jumping to cash in on the high prices that
the first edition is bringing on eBay (Last seen $114).

Well, what I might do is hold on to mine until the new one is about to come
out, and sell then!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37