Old 18-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Brian Berggoetz

Default [IBC] Fir bark question

I have recently found a bark mulch at Home Depot the same size as the
fine grade fir bark, though it is much less pricey. It is $3 for about
2 or 3 cubic feet. The bag lists bark and forest products for
ingredients. Is this going to be about even in applications compared to
fir bark or is fir bark much better? I am concerned with moisture
retention because of the summer heat, (over 100 and bone dry).
Brian in Tucson Zone 12

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Bart Thomas

I have recently found a bark mulch at Home Depot the same size as the
fine grade fir bark, though it is much less pricey. It is $3 for about
2 or 3 cubic feet. The bag lists bark and forest products for
ingredients. Is this going to be about even in applications compared to
fir bark or is fir bark much better?

Let's see. Forest products include bugs, mice squirrels, dung, deer, leaves,
etc.

Mmmm......

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Brian. You write,
I ... found bark mulch at Home Depot the same size as the
fine grade fir bark... The bag lists bark and forest product
for ingredients

The worry you might have of "forest products" is that it probably contains
much shredded wood as opposed to bark. Whereas bark breaks down to create
nitrogen, wood draws nitrogen from the soil thus depleting the major
nutrient for foliage growth & health.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: