Old 28-06-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Douglas fir or Douglas-fir??

Dear All,
Just written a paper on Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). It has
been suggested that the correct English should be Douglas-fir, with a
hyphen, the reason being that Douglas is not a true fir (Abies). I
would argue that there is no "correct" English, and that the Latin
binomial defines the plant we are working on.
Looking in books and on the internet you do find both versions, but is
one more correct than the other???
Best Wishres,
Martin Hodson

Old 28-06-2005, 01:07 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

schreef
Dear All,
Just written a paper on Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). It has

been suggested that the correct English should be Douglas-fir, with a
hyphen, the reason being that Douglas is not a true fir (Abies). I
would argue that there is no "correct" English, and that the Latin
binomial defines the plant we are working on.
Looking in books and on the internet you do find both versions, but is
one more correct than the other???
Best Wishres,
Martin Hodson

***
That is a very complex question.
A lot will depend on your audience, and what you mean by "English".
For a similar case look at western redcedar (versus western red cedar)
PvR

Old 28-06-2005, 04:59 PM

This same issue was discussed here Dec. 10, 2003 under the topic
Osage-orange versus Osage orange. I agree with your position. Given
that common names are not standardized or regulated as are scientific
names, it is impractical to impose a complex hyphenation rule.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/... 845f8fb0e976

David R. Hershey

Old 29-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Peter Jason

Douglas is Scottish n'est pas?
Then it must be Douglas Fur.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear All,
Just written a paper on Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). It has
been suggested that the correct English should be Douglas-fir, with a
hyphen, the reason being that Douglas is not a true fir (Abies). I
would argue that there is no "correct" English, and that the Latin
binomial defines the plant we are working on.
Looking in books and on the internet you do find both versions, but is
one more correct than the other???
Best Wishres,
Martin Hodson

root rot in Douglas fir and Lawson cypress Roy A. Fletcher Gardening 2 09-09-2004 04:29 AM
[IBC] Ancient Douglas Fir Bonsai Site? Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 04-10-2003 04:49 AM
douglas fir trees Ray Gardening 10 20-06-2003 10:56 AM
insect killing Douglas fir Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 3 21-04-2003 02:20 AM
Mycena fd growing on Douglas-fir branches/twigs Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 1 25-11-2002 01:18 PM