Old 21-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Bonsasi Today article on drainage

In a message dated 12/21/2003 9:03:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

There was an article about making sure you use drainage soil. I was
under the impression that it has been decided that drainage soil is more of
a hindrance than a help.

Two points. I believe (my hedge) that articles in Bonsai Today are
frequently (always) translations of articles from Japanese publications.
The older "wisdom" was a layered soil with larger particles at the bottom and
finer particles at the top, up to a very fine "top dressing." The newer
"wisdom" is a well drained soil from top to bottom with no variation.
I think some of this may have to do with watering practices. If I had to
draw water from well to a watering can and do everything by hand I might want a
soil that retained moisture for a longer period of time. But with modern
plumbing and the ability to water as needed I think we can have a better draining
soil.
Also if you notice many Japanese trees are planted in deeper pot that will
drain better than our current favor for the shallowest pot possible.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
Bonsai Societies of Florida Annual Convention Memorial Day Weekend 2004
Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral, Florida
www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Marty Haber

our current favor for the shallowest pot possible
Interesting point, Billy. Now if some of you scientific types would like to
try a controlled experiment ...
Marty
writes:

[...]

****