Old 28-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Carol Schroeder

Default [IBC] Season to Prune Pines

Hi Everyone,

I've done some reading on the correct time of year to prune pines, and
I'm struggling to determine which advice is best - since opinions vary.
I have five pines, a Mugo, Eastern White Pine, Black Pine, and three
two-needle pines, species unknown.
Last spring for the first time I pruned the candles during June and by
October there was back-budding on many branches. Now I would like to
shorten the overly long branches back to the new buds and also remove
one branch each on some of the trees. My question is this: do I prune
in the "dead of winter" as some advise or wait until late winter, say in
February or early March as others suggest, or do the pruning bit by bit
over the course of the winter?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and Happy New Growing Year.

Carol Schroeder
Maryland, Zone 6/7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Marty Haber

Hi Carol, and Happy New Year!
Most of the pruning instructions you will see are specific for Japanese
Black pines. The reason is that this variety has long needles, and bonsai
growers like short ones. Whatever method you choose, you will have long
needles if you stop pruning for even one growing season. What we are
trying to accomplish is to achieve back-budding, so that when we are ready
to show our P. Thunbergia, we will have short needles from the new buds.
That's the reason why we prune in the dormant stage. We simply have to
remove the old needles once the new ones have grown to the desired length.
As for other varieties, especially Japanese White Pines, we have other
factors to consider. This variety is much more delicate than P. Thunbergia;
and its sub-varieties usually have shorter needles. Also, they are much
slower-growing. If we were to prune them now, we might not have living
specimens next spring. I prefer to selectively dis-bud them in spring.
Ruth joins me in wishing you the best for the New Year.
Marty
I've done some reading on the correct time of year to prune pines, and
I'm struggling to determine which advice is best - since opinions vary.
I have five pines, a Mugo, Eastern White Pine, Black Pine, and three
two-needle pines, species unknown.
Last spring for the first time I pruned the candles during June and by
October there was back-budding on many branches. Now I would like to
shorten the overly long branches back to the new buds and also remove
one branch each on some of the trees. My question is this: do I prune
in the "dead of winter" as some advise or wait until late winter, say in
February or early March as others suggest, or do the pruning bit by bit
over the course of the winter?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and Happy New Growing Year.

Carol Schroeder
Maryland, Zone 6/7

****

****