Old 02-01-2004, 08:02 PM

Default [IBC] Osteomeles anthyllidifolia var. subrotunda

Is there a common name for Osteomeles? * I would like to try to find a
specimen of it down here. * Any info is appreciated!

The only common name I know is round-leaved bonyberry. I looked on the Web,
and the only place I found it for sale is a wholesale nursery in Boskoop,
Netherlands. If you find it, be sure to get the variety subrotunda, as the type
variety, Osteomeles anthyllidifolia, is, in my opinion, ugly as sin, & Nina said
she can't do a thing with hers.
I don't know why this tree is not more widely available, except perhaps it
may be very hard to propagate. The leaves are fascinating, as they are halfway
between lobed and pinnate, & no two leaves are alike. They reduce well. After
about two years, you get nice twigging. Mine still has lousy nebari, but I'm
working on it. Unless I do something stupid in the future, it is seemingly
indestructible & ideal for growing under lights. Unlike most members of the
Rosaceae, it is pest-free, as long as you spray it for leaf spotting occasionally. It
likes full sun in the summer, but you have to put it out gradually or it will
sunburn. This winter I put it on the sunporch to go dormant until last week.
To my surprise, it is 100% evergreen. It didn't even get ratty. I repotted it &
it didn't even blink. Mine is a potboiler. Not very spectacular, but it is
always ready for a show. Any time I want a bonsai to display, all it needs is a
little trim. Now if someone can tell me how to get it to bloom, I will be
happy. But you can't have everything.

Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --