Old 05-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Brian Berggoetz

Default [IBC] Colanders

One last question before I go back to work tomorrow and the repotting
season starts. In the archves there is not much conclusion on colanders
as a growout tool. I know some of the "experts" around town use them
some, especially with collected material. I have just found a great
source of them locally and am thinking of putting all my pre-bonsai in
them for growing on. Has anyone used them for a long enough time to
have a conclusive answer? Are they better than terra cotta? Would they
be too porous for the desert? Thank you.
Brian Tucson, AZ Zone 12

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dear Brian:
I have no idea how the colandars will work in your area, however, I have
found that root development in a collandar for seedlings was as good if
not better than large bulb pots. I used a very loose and open soil.

IMHO I think that the type of soil you use would have a lot to do with
your watering habits in your area, regardless of what type of pot you used..

Vance Wood, the Mugo Man, has a "patented" planter that he developed a
few years ago, using the idea of oxygen entering the planter from all
sides and bottom, similar to the colandar.

Good luck,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 05-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Daniel Avrin

Hey, Gang! I'm still here, just lurking more these days than debating!

In a message dated 1/5/2004 1:02:40 PM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:
Vance Wood, the Mugo Man, has a "patented" planter that he developed a
few years ago, using the idea of oxygen entering the planter from all
sides and bottom, similar to the colandar.
More specifically than the standard colander, a rice strainer (still
basically a bowl with lots of holes) is great as a training pot and the holes are
smaller than most colanders. The roots are air pruned when the tips grow out of
the holes and dry out, thus forcing "back budding" along the root. The result:
absolutely phenomenal feeder roots where you want them - closer to the trunk.
When root pruning times comes along, you have so much fine, feeder roots you
can prune without worry that you are removing feeder roots and leaving only
thick roots. I have gotten to the point that I can take a tree that has been
growing in a rice strainer for a year or two and take it for a root
pruning/repotting demonstration without even lifting it out to see the condition of the
roots. The rice strainer is always full of fine feeder roots when the time
comes to pull the tree free. This is how the roots always seem to look in those
great Bonsai Today demonstration articles where they prune the roots seemingly
impossibly short but still have feeder roots close to the trunk. As you can
tell, I'm totally sold on the idea and have seen the results with my own trees
for years now.
Good luck!

Best Regards,
Daniel Avrin
No one under 17 admitted without a parent.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Alan Walker

Dan: It's nice to hear from you once again! I've missed your boundless
wit. ;-) Happy New Year!
I'm wondering, however, what Dr. Carl Whitcomb will think of
Vance's "patented" planter with these features. Last I knew, Dr.
Whitcomb held the patent on the air-root pruning container, in addition
to writing the book on it, literally.
You can read about them in his book, Plant Production in
Containers, ISBN 0-9613109-1-X, published by Lacebark Publications,
Stillwater, OK, 1984.
Alan Walker
Home of the National Champion LSU Tigers!!! Geaux Tigers!