Old 11-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Oak cuttings?

Can anyone tell me if oaks can be struck from cuttings, amd if
so at what
time of year & what type od cutting to take. I tried last year

to take
cuttings in winter of 1 year ols wood (before budding had

begun) but all
cutting failed to strike.

Lee

Looking through Dirr, I see no mention of cuttings under the
propagation headings for Quercus species. If I had to guess, I'd
say that hardwood cuttings would be difficult if not impossible,
while softwood cuttings might merely be difficult.

Oaks sprout readily from seed (acorns).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-01-2004, 04:12 AM
Kitsune Miko

Oak cutting are supposed to be nealy impossible. I do
remember someone doing an experiment with wounding an
oak branch and forcling it to callus. It was then
easier to get the callus to grow roots. Unfortunately
I don not remember the details.

Kitsune Miko

--- Lee & Debbie Miles
wrote:
Can anyone tell me if oaks can be struck from
cuttings, amd if so at what
time of year & what type od cutting to take. I tried
last year to take
cuttings in winter of 1 year ols wood (before
budding had begun) but all
cutting failed to strike.

Lee

++++Sponsored, in part, by Jarbas