Old 21-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Allelopathy Alert

Most of you are familiar with the allelopathy of black walnuts. Allelopathy is
the tendency of a plant to produce chemicals which kill or stunt neighboring
plants of other species. I have been growing the miniature rush, Juncus
maximowiczii, which makes a cute companion plant. Other Juncus species have
been implicated in allelopathy, but I have not found a reference for this
particular one. However, I have found a couple of times that when a clump of it
in a group planting got to a substantial size, the nearest tree went downhill.
So I would recomment not planting it in a bonsai. It should do fine as a
separately potted accent plant.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Allelopathy Iris Cohen Plant Science 8 23-01-2004 04:34 PM
[IBC] Allelopathy Alert Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 21-01-2004 10:05 PM
Allelopathy Alert Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-01-2004 04:03 PM
SPAM ALERT an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets animaux Gardening 0 30-01-2003 02:52 AM
** ALERT- - Rid your PC of Illegal Images** wwwwwwssssssx Don Wanton Ponds 0 25-01-2003 11:28 PM