Old 06-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] ants

I have a Shimpaku Juniper, and I have noticed the past couple days there are
ant trails all along the trunk. I looked aoround to see what they were
trying to get, but could find nothing. I doubt it is anything serious, but
just wanted to make sure. Is it a problem? COuld they just be looking for a
dry place from the rain? THanks alot. Fom, Colin

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Nina Shishkoff

Colin said:
I have a Shimpaku Juniper, and I have noticed the past couple days there are
ant trails all along the trunk.

Billy said:
BUT, ants in your soil around plants is usually not a good thing. Although
they probably are not feeding on the roots, their tunnels will make the roots
dry out and die.

I say: definitely they aren't feeding on roots, but they may be attracted by scale insects or aphids, which ants like to "herd" and "milk" for their honeydew. Check the tree for these. And, like Billy, I wonder where the tree is- indoors or outdoors? I
have trouble remembering what insects are- they aren't a big concern for me in the middle of this endless icestorm.

more ice tonight,

Nina

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
[IBC] ants Colin Horn Bonsai 6 06-02-2004 07:42 AM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM