Old 24-02-2004, 04:05 AM
Dave Weller

Default Trident Maple: New growth

Do new leaves on trident maples first come in a reddy brown color? I'm
getting quite a lot of new growth and I'm just hoping its healthy.

Old 24-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Theo

Hi Dave

Dave Weller wrote:

Do new leaves on trident maples first come in a reddy brown color? I'm
getting quite a lot of new growth and I'm just hoping its healthy.

yes they do and than turn bright green all new grow during the year
will ave for few days this cupper tint
beware as the bew shots always grow with impossible angles either
20 ° or 90 °, I try to scrap them off as soon as possible the unwanted
ones with a lancet or a wooden hand made lancet

tridents are very strong and gets very easily bushy and wood hardens
and chip easily I prefer shape 'em by cut as even softly placed wire
will mark the bark easily and quickly
Theo

--
EU Zone 7 GE (CH)