Old 25-02-2004, 02:56 AM
Stella

Default [IBC] Tropicals: Time of year to make first Trunk cut?

Apologies, should have mentioned that I'm in Denver, Colorado. Thanks.

Hi All:

New to this list and new to Bonsai.

Today I acquired a Myanmar Lime tree. The tree is 7' tall and has
attractive radial nebari plus a unique, thick trunk.

My question is: What time of year is best to make the first major trunk cut
on a Lime tree, specifically, but tropical trees in general (citrus, ficus,
etc)? Also, what time of year is best for root pruning tropical trees?

One complication with said Lime tree is the original owner cut most of the
branches & leaves off back in December - the tree has produced a fair amount
of new growth in the last 2-3 months. The tree is in an 18" pot with a huge
root base. The Lime tree currently stands 7' tall. Also, the tree has
lived in a greenhouse for the past year.

Any advice on when to make a trunk cut and when to root prune Tropicals is
most appreciated!! Thanks.

Thaddeus Agar

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-02-2004, 03:39 AM
Claud Spinks

My personal rule of thumb (told to me by a sage, old master) was to
repot and root prune when the tree is at it's most active and vigorous
growth cycle (I am talking about tropicals here.) For most people in
climates with 4 seasons, this would be the hot summer months. I have had
success at other times, but would never try this on a prized speciman,
and I have a heated greenhouse.
Claud

Old 26-02-2004, 05:12 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Night to All,
General Response.

I tend to repot at the ending of our rainy season,
and when it is coolest.The month of January.

Most tropicals are resting to growing slowly.
The in-betweens,such as Serissa[Chinese type single flower]
,Fukien tea,Sageretia,Privet,Ulmus are resting.

The response.
After a week in medium shade all trees are returned to
their original stands and no growth occurs for about 2 months.
Though the Ficus Benjamina will leaf out,the new growth is
sluggish.

By January's end Hackberrys,Gingko and Trident maple are
uprooted,root pruned to what I call the core,dripped dry and
bagged for entrance into the refrigerator until April 1st.

Citrus,tends to be sub-tropical to tender temperate,especially
mandarins and the mixes off of them.They are not really native
to the tropics.They are sluggish within my yard until March.

Please note that the house shades the backyard entirely until
March,and this is a heavy clay soil holding much water,even
though the surface may be hard and dry.The lawn grass stays
very green,even though there is no rain.
There is a more or less a constant breeze and the sky is generally
open at night.
Until later.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Theo

Hi if you think that a tropical is active all year round with a low
in winther e and the most active season in june
so pruning normally should be done when sap is slow ( december)
and rooti pruning when the tree is very active in june
I always did so with my camellias right after flowers and Ficus
of course if you keep a tropical in a green house that reproduce its
natural habitat if is a blooming kind I should do both pruning
right after the flowering or before the light dormancy after fruits(if
any) will be romoved
Theo

Stella wrote:

[...]

+++++