Old 28-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Stella

Default [IBC] HELP? -- Tropicals: Time of year to make first Trunk cut?

So then, is the consensus that any time of year is ok to make the first
trunk cut on a Myanmar lime tree?

Just to clarify, I'm in Denver, Colorado...and what I mean by 'first trunk
cut' is to cut the tree from 7' down to a 3" stump! Do tropicals have a
'dormancy' cycle like deciduous trees and conifers? Is it best to make a
MAJOR trunk cut around the time the temperature outside warms up to
consistently above 45 degrees (day & night, in Denver)? Are there any
considerations that I should be aware of...differences b/n tropicals and
deciduous/conifers?

Best Regards,

Thaddeus Agar
Denver, Colorado
Bonsai rank: Novice

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 2/28/2004 3:59:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

So then, is the consensus that any time of year is OK to make the first
trunk cut on a Myanmar lime tree?

On;y if you are a tropical location, in your case I would wait until the
temperature was consistently above 50 day and night.

Do tropicals have a 'dormancy' cycle like deciduous trees and conifers?

Well, they slow down, I wouldn't say they go dormant like a deciduous
tree.

Is it best to make a MAJOR trunk cut around the time the temperature
outside warms up to consistently above 45 degrees (day &night, in Denver)?

I would say 50.

Are there any considerations that I should be aware of...differences b/n
tropicals and
deciduous/conifers?

I have no personal experience with the species you mention but in
general tropicals are more tolerant of root and top work at the same time.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html