Old 02-03-2004, 11:57 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] soil rumor + Drainage Layer

Definitely incorrect in my experience. I have found that using finer
soil sizes actually encourages lush growth with longer internodes and
larger leaves. That's as long as the tree likes these conditions. As has
been noted, many trees dislike the wetter conditions that fine soils
encourage.

I routinely use fine milled peat and sharp sand for potting up cuttings
and first year seedlings. They grow well but are observed regularly and
individually for their water requirements. As the trees get larger and
older they are repotted and this is replaced with coarser soils.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, and take this regular topic a
stage further;-)
How many of you were astonished to read a 4page article on the
importance of the drainage layer in Bonsai Today 88? I thought this one
was well and truly refuted.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I have heard that the use of a finer sized soil will produce a finer
twigging of branches and smaller leafing. While a soil that is more
coarse
will not really affect the leafing or branching but will encourage a
more
fibrous root system. Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

Keith
Eastern NC

---

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Rodger Kessler

David Easterbrook has advocated for a layer of finer soil on the top, to
support better moss growth, I think.
Rodger Kessler

[...]

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Rodger Kessler

Old 02-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Rodger Kessler

[...]

[IBC] Drainage Layer Andy Rutledge Bonsai 11 02-03-2004 08:15 PM
[IBC] soil rumor + Drainage Layer + other off-the-wall Bonsai Today articles Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 4 02-03-2004 03:10 PM
[IBC] soil rumor Kitsune Miko Bonsai 10 02-03-2004 02:20 PM
soil rumor Keith Bonsai 0 02-03-2004 01:30 AM
[IBC] Drainage and other unfortunate mysteries (was : Bonsai Today article on drainage) Andy Rutledge Bonsai 6 23-12-2003 05:42 PM