Old 05-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Growing formal uprights styles in the ground

I have read about growing trees in the ground to increase trunk
size. The
one article i read said that if you do a formal upright style

you have to
jin the top portion. Is there anyway around this? Could anyone

point me to
some other good articles on this subject please. Thanks in

advance.

That's the easy way. You don't have to wait for a cut to "heal"
if you make it into a jin at the top.

If you want a tree with no jin (a novel approach in these days of
jin that look like twirled spaghetti ;-) you have to work the
chop scar into the taper at the top. That takes a lot longer.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Steven Wachs

A method i know is to simply develop an upper branch so it grows upward. It
takes years to do it this way but you can get a nice crown this way. It
requires that you cut the top of your tree. First find a branch that can be
redirected to grow upward. This will develop into the crown and have a nice taper
for the tree development.
The branch should be on what would be the front of your tree. This will hide
any scars. .You can make the cut at the top angled so that the scar would be
on the back of the tree.
or I make the cut about an inch above the branch I am making into the
crown.I do that with maples and elms so that there is no die back below the branch
i want to develop.later on I cut the excess off. Now this method does require
substantial growth around the scar so that you can hide the point that new
branch is being developed and also hide the scar. Eventually new growth will
hide everything