Old 11-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Collecting in National Forests

I'm sure that a number of folks out there have collected trees from National
forests or public land. Can someone, either onlist or off, provide me some
basic guidance in how to go about getting a permit?

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Kitsune Miko

Jeff,

I have no personal experience in this area, but know
there is a hiatus of collecting out here in
California. Seems someone got greedy, dug too many
California juniper and left them by the side of the
road to die. There is a search for the culprits
within the bonsai community out here so we can
re-establish the permits. I think you have to be very
clear with the officials on your intent.

Kitsune Miko
--- "Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)"

Old 11-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Jim Lewis

I'm sure that a number of folks out there have collected trees
from National
forests or public land. Can someone, either onlist or off,

provide me some
basic guidance in how to go about getting a permit?

If the entire Forest Service hasn't lowered the boom because of
greedy collectors, you would go to the District Ranger's office
for the Forest Area you wish to collect in.

But, as other have indicated, it may be getting tough. State
forest agencies have virtually shut the door, too; they HAVE shut
it here in Florida. Don't even think about park lands!

Out in the west (except California) the BLM is a huge federal
landowner, and they used to issue permits. Again, try the
District (local) office for the area to be collected.

That leaves private lands -- and there you MUST know the
landowner. Even the paper companies -- who, after all, make
their living by DESTROYING trees (although pretty crappy versions
of trees) aren't letting collectors on their land in North
Florida -- mostly for liability reasons, I suspect.

I have an IBCer coming to collect on my farm/forest/swamp later
this month.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who suggests
that folks go to our website (address below) and re-read (or read
for the first time) my "The Ethics of Collecting," printed
originally in ABS' "Bonsai Journal."

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++