Old 13-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Chris

Default bonsai questions

What I'm wondering about is the care and growth of the famous bonsai
tree.

How difficult is it? Is much "work" involved?

Is there a bonsai cherry tree? Do bonsais flower or bear fruit?

I've heard that wire is involved. Presumbly to inhibit or control growth,
correct?
If so, is it necessary to keep re-wiring the tree over time?

I've seen websites, some offer a bonsai for as little as $20 or $30, others
want $2000?
What's the difference here?

Old 19-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Iris Cohen

You will probably get a slew of answers, but I will kick off.
What I'm wondering about is the care and growth of the famous bonsai tree.
How difficult is it? Is much "work" involved?

There is no one "bonsai tree." Bonsai techniques are used on many different
kinds of trees. Frankly, it is moderately difficult for beginners, but some
trees are easier than others. We suggest you start with a Ficus, such as the
ones sold in the home improvement stores. There is quite a bit of work involved
in the beginning stages of styling your tree. After that, there is little work
except routine pruning and periodic repotting, unless you find that some aspect
of the design needs to be changed.

Is there a bonsai cherry tree?

Yes, there are many varieties of cherries used for bonsai. However, they are
somewhat difficult.

Do bonsai flower or bear fruit?

Most definitely. Crabapples are among the most popular flowering and fruiting
bonsai. They are probably easier than cherries.

I've heard that wire is involved. Presumably to inhibit or control growth,
correct?

Not exactly. Branches are wired to make them grow in the direction you want
them to for the design. When the branch sets in the desired position, you
remove the wire.

If so, is it necessary to keep re-wiring the tree over time?

Depends. With some trees, the initial wiring pretty much sets them for years.
New branches need to be wired as they appear. In other species, the branches
tend to go back to their original position, & you have to keep rewiring them
every few years.

I've seen websites; some offer a bonsai for as little as $20 or $30, others
want $2000.
What's the difference here?

A $20 or $30 tree is not a bonsai. It's a starter or prebonsai, although it may
have had some initial work done. If they are asking $2000, either it is a real
finished bonsai or a ripoff. Don't buy any bonsai online until you are
thoroughly educated.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."