Old 21-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Dennis Howke

Default [IBC] Photos from start to finish

Check the following site: http://psba.8m.com/pic/haw/haw.html

George wrote:

Hi. I'm a complete beginner.

Can someone post links for photographs of training a Bonsai tree from start
(ie buying seedlings or planting seeds) to finish? (The tree ready for
display). I have difficulty visualising some of these steps, and although
I've seen photos of wired trees, for example, there usually isn't a photo of
what it looked like before.

Thanks,

George

************************************************* *******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi. I'm a complete beginner.

Can someone post links for photographs of training a Bonsai

tree from start
(ie buying seedlings or planting seeds) to finish? (The tree

ready for
display). I have difficulty visualising some of these steps,

and although
I've seen photos of wired trees, for example, there usually

isn't a photo of
what it looked like before.

I'm not at all sure what that would teach you. First, MOST
bonsai are not started from seed or seedlings. Many of our best
bonsai were collected from the wild as mature trees; others are
started from larger nursery plants (10 gallon pots, etc.).

I suggest you go to our gallery. Access it from the link below.
There, starting in the "potensai" (potential bonsai) gallery you
can see some beginning trees, and in our "main" gallery, some
older trees that are approaching the "finished" stage -- though
we like to say that a bonsai is never really "finished."

Next, try books. They're still better than the WWW, since you
can hold them in your hand and study them without going blind.
Almost all bonsai books have start-to-"finish" picture sequences
of wiring. Basic books you might look for -- at your bookstore
or the local public library -- would be by Harry Tomlinson, Herb
Gustafson, Colin Lewis -- all of whom have posted here at one
time or another, but not lately -- or Peter Chan. I'd recommend
you buy a book by one of these authors and study it hard.

Another good source of information and help is a local bonsai
club. You can find lists of local clubs at the ABS web site
(www.absbonsai.org) or the BCI site (www.bonsai-bci.com).

Old 22-03-2004, 05:11 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

I suggest you go to our gallery. Access it from the link below.
There, starting in the "potensai" (potential bonsai) gallery you
can see some beginning trees, and in our "main" gallery, some
older trees that are approaching the "finished" stage -- though
we like to say that a bonsai is never really "finished."

Also, our Treasurer, Reiner, has some good sequential pictorials of some of
his trees in the "Galleries" at:
http://www.rgbonsai.com/index.html

Cheers

Nic
IBC Webmaster

Old 22-03-2004, 07:02 AM
George

Thanks Dennis. The demonstrations were exactly what I was looking for.

George

Old 22-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Try this also: www.bonsai.se

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Old 23-03-2004, 12:09 AM
George

Thanks Henrik. Again, that was just what I was looking for. The "time-lapse"
pictures in the "Fallstudier" section were fascinating - some of them taken
over a 12 year time span. A bit daunting, though. I'm at the stage in life
where I consider anything with more than a ten-year guarantee to be a waste
of money :-)

George

Old 27-03-2004, 08:00 PM
MadSweeney

here is a nice site i found through the ibc

http://www.bonsaibeginnings.org/

Old 27-03-2004, 08:01 PM
MadSweeney