Old 24-03-2004, 03:19 PM
marty haber

Default [IBC] willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves

I assume your talking about a willow-leaved ficus, F. neirifolia. From what
you say, you moved it from a very warm room to one that's kept at between
65F and 69F. That range is perfect for this tree. I must add that moving a
tree from one location to another (especially if you did not cover it when
it was enroute) could be very traumatic - especially for neirifolia. This
plant is very sensitive to rapid temp. changes. The good news is that, once
settled in, it can recover rapidly: even if it loses all its leaves.
Patience is the key word.
Marty
++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Nina Shishkoff

It could be going dormant. My willow-leaf would drop its leaves every winter; I'd cut back on water until new leaves started to emerge, usually in late February. Your tree might have taken the change in environment as a cue to go dormant.

Of course, it could be a root problem. Either way, cut back on water and watch the tree carefully. As soon as temperatures get toasty, put the tree outdoors. Figs may be "indoor" bonsai, but nothing beats the great outdoors.

Nina

Old 24-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Kelly

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote in message

Hi Billy,

I trust you are watering less since in the cool conditions you
describe the tree will not need as much water.

Yes I am watering much less. Only when the soil gets dry to the touch.

The humidity tray thing is basically a myth. A tray of water under

the
plant can't increase the humidity in the air enough to matter. Also the
Ficus doesn't have to have the humidity to survive.

I mist the tree as well....

Kelly

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

****

Old 24-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Kelly

"Nina Shishkoff" wrote in message
news:12238075.1080136500285.JavaMail.webber@uporta l0...
It could be going dormant. My willow-leaf would drop its leaves every

winter; I'd cut back on water until new leaves started to emerge, usually in
late February. Your tree might have taken the change in environment as a
cue to go dormant.

Of course, it could be a root problem. Either way, cut back on water and

watch the tree carefully. As soon as temperatures get toasty, put the tree
outdoors. Figs may be "indoor" bonsai, but nothing beats the great
outdoors.

Won't it be susceptible to disease outside?

Kelly

Old 24-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Won't it be susceptible to disease outside?

MUCH less than inside. Trees belong outside. We bring them
inside because some folks like green in the house (shudder), but
MOST trees don't like it indoors. The indoor environment is very
hostile -- too dry, often too hot, in the summer, air
conditioning can make it too cold (and again, very dry) -- but
mostly too dry, MUCH too dry. Misting and humidity trays do very
little (almost nothing!) to raise the humidity. Bringing in a
humidifier to raise the humidity to what the plant wants will
make the indoor environment uncomfortable for YOU -- and mildew
your furniture.

Outside, there is sunlight, natural breezes -- and HUMIDITY
(unless you live in Yuma). All trees revel in these conditions.

You are much more likely to get a serious infestation of mites,
aphids, scale, etc. indoors than out, because the indoor
environment stresses the trees and they don't have the resources
to fight back, AND because natural predators are not present.

As for diseases, the sunlight, wind, and rain help keep many
fungus diseases at bay -- though watering the leaves (as in rain)
_can_ promote others. However, the same applies indoors when you
water your plants.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 24-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Won't it be susceptible to disease outside?

Kelly

Absolutely not. The hotter and sunnier it is, the happier the fig is, and the better it is able to fight off disease. Figs aren't native to the Northern United States, so they have few pests or diseases. Mites and scale insects, mostly. Mites aren't a
problem outdoors and ladybugs will take care of the scale insects!

Nina.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++