Old 25-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] bonsai soil

In the past when I lived in Pa., I would buy turkey grit as one
component to
my bonsai soil. Now that I have to moved to Florida I am only

finding pigeon
grit ($17 + per 50 lb bag). It has a reddish, pinkish color

with some shell
mixed in. Has anyone used this for mixing bonsai soil?
Julie

Most poultry grit sold in Florida consists of shell -- crushed
oyster shell from the disgusting habit some peoplehave of eating
raw oysters by the bushel. :-( -- because it's cheap. You don't
want shell in your mix. It is calcium carbonate and can
adversely affect your soil's pH.

Swimming pool filter sand works OK, and there's NO dust in it.
So does the coarse grit sand-blasting sand, tho it's a bit
dustier.

Where in Florida?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++