Old 25-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Bill Daniels

Default [IBC] humidity

Good morning Group,

I have listened to you talk about humidity and the "No effect " it has
on the Bonsai plant. Humidity play a significant roll in the nutriution
of a plant. The part of the respiration and transpiration of a plant.
A constant relative humidity (such as water under the plant then
inside) is important for the plant's nutritional makeup to reduce
stress to the plant whether in the winter, spring, summer or fall.

Below is a small section of the chapter in Plant Nutrition I'm writing.

Respiration

Carbohydrates made during photosynthesis are of value to the plant when
they are converted to energy. This energy is used in the building of new
tissues or in plant growth. Oxidation is the chemical process by which
sugars and starches produced by photosynthesis are converted to energy.
It is similar to burning wood or coal to produce heat. Controlled
oxidation in a living cell is known as respiration.

By now it should be clear that respiration is the reverse of
photosynthesis (Table 1.2). Unlike photosynthesis, respiration occurs at
night as well as during the day. Respiration occurs in all life forms
and in all cells. The release of accumulated carbon dioxide and the
uptake of oxygen occurs at the cell level. In plants, there is simple
diffusion into the open spaces within the leaf and exchange through the
stomatas.

Table 1.2. Comparison of Photosynthesis and Respiration.

Photosynthesis

Respiration

I . Produces food

1. Uses food for plant energy

2. Stores energy

2. Releases energy

3. Occurs in cells that contain chloroplasts

3. Occurs in all cells

4. Releases oxygen

4. Uses oxygen

5. Uses water

5. Produces water

Transpiration

Transpiration is the process by which a plant loses water primarily from
leaf stomata. Transpiration is a necessary process that uses about 90
percent of the water that enters the plant through the roots.
Transpiration is necessary for mineral transport from the soil to the
plant parts, for cooling plant parts through evaporation, to move sugars
and plant chemicals, and to maintain a turgor pressure. The amount of
water lost from the plant depends on several environmental factors, such
as temperature, humidity and wind or air movement. As temperatures or
air movement increase, transpiration increases. As humidity decreases,
transpiration increases.

In the winter time The plant reduces both transpiration and respiration
processes. The plant still needs the water intake from other sources;
such as the relative humidity from a water dish in the winter time as
the stomata (this reduces transpiration) will open to increase to take
in water vapor for photosynthesis needs.

hope this helps,

Bill Daniels

In Sunny California

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Jerry Meislik

Bill,
What else will your book deal with?
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 25-03-2004, 05:41 PM
richard patefield

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:54:14 -0800, you wrote:

Good morning Group,

I have listened to you talk about humidity and the "No effect " it has
on the Bonsai plant.

I don't think that is what was said.

The 'myth' referred to is that misting and water trays increase the
relative humidity indoors to a significant degree.

Billy M. claimed that, 'A tray of water under the
plant can't increase the humidity in the air enough to matter.'

If memory serves, the average air in a domestic room, say a dining
room, changes twice an hour - once in your sitting room.

The idea of creating a microclimate around a plant can only work in a
room where no-one lives. Where no-one ever walks about or opens a
window or door.

Just my scientifically unsupported opinion.

Richard P.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-03-2004, 06:01 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 3/25/2004 11:04:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have listened to you talk about humidity and the "No effect " it has
on the Bonsai plant. Humidity play a significant roll in the nutrition
of a plant

I know that humidity plays an important role in the life of a plant.
However, members of this group have reported, based on their research, that
the trays don't raise the humidity around a plant enough to matter.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-03-2004, 06:06 AM
Pranab Nag

For what is worth, raising humidity by misting would be extremely hard
inside a house in winter. The relative humidity inside the house drops
to 25-30% at the peak of the winter. It would be really hard to raise
that to a level that tropical plants like.

Having said that I regularly mist my tropicals but I drench them so that
most of the plant becomes wet. Basically a mini shower. The rel.
humidity rises to about 45% in the vicinity. In a hours time it would be
hard to figure out that they ever got drenched.

I never noticed any ill-effects of my misting schedule. Plants I want to
keep on the drier side I just skip those.

BTW my plants are in the basement with lights so it is easy to just mist
them heavily.

-Pranab

Old 26-03-2004, 06:16 AM
rschmitt23

I grow seedlings in my garage using a grow light and a Saranwrap tent over
the trays. For humidification, I use a $35 cold air ultrasonic mister from
Walmart that has a 2 gallon reservoir. A simple plastic dryer duct connects
the mister to the tent. I put the mister on an interval timer (10 minutes
on, 30 off) and add water to the reservoir every 2 or 3 days. My coast live
oak acorns were planted on 1 January and now the seedlings are about 6
inches tall and enjoying the sunshine and fresh air on my front porch. When
I get a larger place, I'll set up a greenhouse with one of those continuous
misting systems that are supposed to work so well for propagating seedlings
and cuttings.

Later

--
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-03-2004, 06:30 AM
rschmitt23

[...]

[IBC] Humidity Trays [email protected] Bonsai 0 06-07-2004 03:03 PM
[IBC] Humidity Tray Medium Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 7 29-04-2004 09:09 PM
humidity tray M&M Australia 0 18-08-2003 03:31 AM
bamboo popping sounds due to humidity changes? Dan Jacobson Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:25 PM
was Bulb. Vaginatum now Humidity in the Window Sill Dave Sheehy Orchids 2 11-03-2003 07:57 PM