Old 27-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] a Baobab diary 1

Good Day to All,
Carl,

one question.Using your porch as you do,
is there enough light to build dense foliage?

Though being the Artist you are,perhaps you
have worked around high density and are
growing more towards excellent design with
lighter foliage[fewer leaves doing more.]

I am convinced that anyone can grow trees
indoors successfully,if you know the conditions
and stay within a range of trees,with similar
requirements.Even here some trees prefer
shade and being more moist,others high heat
and being moist or high heat and being drier.

However your lucky,you have a porch.
Often I see ficus types in covered patios down
here covered in high leaf volume,so obviously
there is more than enough light[say 1400 lux].

I guess what Jim L speaks of is those folk who
try to grow a tree inside the house at less than
1000lux and with little or no air movement.If the
humidity were high enough,it probably would make a
great climate for growing jungle undergrowth.

My question to you came about with the mention
of the Baobab,which for me,when I grew it,was a
full exposure tree.
I gave up on the tree when I saw some refined results
a few years ago on South African sites[then members
of the IBC.]

As someone on an island of Amazonian jungle[3' leaves
and few branches]type trees,I must choose my battles
well.Too many of our trees give the Baobab result and
it's not an exotic appeal.

I will be very happy in 15 years+ to see your results.
Perhaps then I can show you my results on selected
cultivars of the Tamarindus Indica.Some trees can produce
fairly heavy branching at 12" or so,others need 24"+,
but it will take about 15 years to assess it all,and then
start growing by cuttings[Zuisho alla tropical-chuckle]
Well until later.
Thank you for replying.
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean

Old 27-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dear Kahaimraj and IBCers

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:

Good Day to All,
Carl,

one question.Using your porch as you do,
is there enough light to build dense foliage?

I will let you decide by the attached photos. :-[ (I sent them
privately, if anyone wishes to see them, please Email me privately.)

Though being the Artist you are,perhaps you
have worked around high density and are
growing more towards excellent design with
lighter foliage[fewer leaves doing more.]

I am not sure that I have excellent designs (after all I am really a
beginner, despite my age), but I try and let the tree tell me which way
it wants to grow. I do try to do more of the pinching to establish my
design rather than wiring....

I am convinced that anyone can grow trees
indoors successfully,if you know the conditions
and stay within a range of trees,with similar
requirements.Even here some trees prefer
shade and being more moist,others high heat
and being moist or high heat and being drier.

I have eliminated trees that I felt did not like my environment. :-[

However your lucky,you have a porch.
Often I see ficus types in covered patios down
here covered in high leaf volume,so obviously
there is more than enough light[say 1400 lux].

I have never tried to measure the light, but I suspect it is ample.

I guess what Jim L speaks of is those folk who
try to grow a tree inside the house at less than
1000lux and with little or no air movement.If the
humidity were high enough,it probably would make a
great climate for growing jungle undergrowth.

I tried to grow about 50 trees in my living room at one time, but the
trees were just surviving, that is why I gave up on the in-house idea.

My question to you came about with the mention
of the Baobab,which for me,when I grew it,was a
full exposure tree.
I gave up on the tree when I saw some refined results
a few years ago on South African sites[then members
of the IBC.]

I am not that "serious" about growing my trees for anything other than
my own pleasures (Obviously, I am selfish). I grow trees for the "fun"
of it. I can not be that serious about this hobby, other than to keep
the trees alive and help others obtain my knowledge.

As someone on an island of Amazonian jungle[3' leaves
and few branches]type trees,I must choose my battles
well.Too many of our trees give the Baobab result and
it's not an exotic appeal.

That's why we have Chocolate and Vanilla Ice cream.... To each his own! ;-)

I will be very happy in 15 years+ to see your results.
Perhaps then I can show you my results on selected
cultivars of the Tamarindus Indica.Some trees can produce
fairly heavy branching at 12" or so,others need 24"+,
but it will take about 15 years to assess it all,and then
start growing by cuttings[Zuisho alla tropical-chuckle]
Well until later.

I will do my best to be around, but the chances are slim to none! :-D

My Best to you!
:-D

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++