Old 27-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] a Baobab diary 2

Hello All,
Carl,

PLEASE send me your growing instructions for the Black Olive!!!
Also when your doing your single tree shots a digital
image!!!

Ha ha ha your never going to see my black olive ha ha.

Like I said - Excellent Designs - and phooey on your

"I am not that "serious" about growing my trees for anything other than
my own pleasures (Obviously, I am selfish). I grow trees for the "fun"
of it. I can not be that serious about this hobby, other than to keep
the trees alive and help others obtain my knowledge."
______________

From now on I am treating you like a Bonsai-ist!!!!!
Stay Well Maestro,
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean

*Never tried a Tamarind ?

-

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Hello All,
Carl,

PLEASE send me your growing instructions for the Black Olive!!!
Also when your doing your single tree shots a digital
image!!!

Ha ha ha your never going to see my black olive ha ha.

Like I said - Excellent Designs - and phooey on your

"I am not that "serious" about growing my trees for anything other than
my own pleasures (Obviously, I am selfish). I grow trees for the "fun"
of it. I can not be that serious about this hobby, other than to keep
the trees alive and help others obtain my knowledge."
______________

From now on I am treating you like a Bonsai-ist!!!!!
Stay Well Maestro,
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean

*Never tried a Tamarind ?

-

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dear Khaimraj:
Are you trying to give me a swelled head? :-[ Sheesh! Seriously,
I really thank you for the kind words.

As far as growing instructions, I assume you mean my watering method. I
water (when the soil is dry) just about every other day. My Black Olive
is a thirsty baby. I water it three times with an interval of about 10
to 15 minutes.... The third watering (Monday thru Friday I add either
1/4 teaspoon of Miracid 30-10-10 or if I see the small flowers
appearing, I change to 1/4 teaspoon of Superbloom 12-55-6. About twice
a month (still on the week-days), I will add Miracle Grow 8-7-6
basically for its mini-nutrients.
On Saturday and Sunday, I water with just clear water. I really choose
the days for fertilizing just because it is easier to remember, not for
any other reason..... I prune this baby about once a month, in fact it
is just about ready for a hair cut... I do not let any of the vertical
branches grow, except I removed about eight inches from the apex about a
year ago, and it is now filling in beautifully.
I have to wait until the spring, so I can put up a background outdoors,
since my 3' x 4' sky background is too short. In the mean time, I will
send you a picture of what it looked like before removing the Apex.

Your NJBB,
Carl

PS: IBC'ers I'll be glad to send a picture if you request it.
PSS: No, I never tried aTamarind

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:

Hello All,
Carl,

PLEASE send me your growing instructions for the Black Olive!!!
Also when your doing your single tree shots a digital
image!!!

Ha ha ha your never going to see my black olive ha ha.

Like I said - Excellent Designs - and phooey on your

"I am not that "serious" about growing my trees for anything other than
my own pleasures (Obviously, I am selfish). I grow trees for the "fun"
of it. I can not be that serious about this hobby, other than to keep
the trees alive and help others obtain my knowledge."
______________

From now on I am treating you like a Bonsai-ist!!!!!

Stay Well Maestro,
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean

*Never tried a Tamarind ?

-

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-03-2004, 03:29 AM
cam

Hi Carl:

Do you grow Baobabs?

I have 4 Baobab seeds and have been watering them patiently for about
a month. I see no growth. I know that Baobabs are naturally slow to
germinate - but should they be THIS slow?

Do I have duds, or is it normal to germinate so slowly? If this is
normal, how long does germination take?

Impatiently,

Cam
Bonsai Chat
www.bonsaichat.com

Old 29-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Willem Carstens

I have 4 Baobab seeds and have been watering them patiently for about
a month. I see no growth. I know that Baobabs are naturally slow to
germinate - but should they be THIS slow?

I have germinated some Baobab seeds this year and in my experience they
should
germinate within a month or so.However this does depend on what kind of
treatment
you gave the seeds before you planted them.I put my seeds into very hot
water over
night and planted the ones that swelled up.They broke through the surface
of the soil
about 2-3 weeks later.Scarifying the seeds also helps.The seed i bought
where already scarified
when i got them.

Hopes this helps.

Willem Carstens
South Africa.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-03-2004, 07:04 PM
cam

Thanks for the tips! I didn't scarify my seeds. Do you think I should
take them out of the soil (since they're still unopened) and place
them in hot H20 for a while, then scarify?

Cam