Old 25-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] a Baobab dairy

Dear All:
Since we are talking about tropicals (well, sort of)I did take my Baobab
plant out of the tree house and placed it on the dining room table.

Here is the story of my three year-old Baobab seedling (which has a ¾ of
an inch trunk at the soil level and is 14 inches tall.) It has been in
my tree house since August 2003, and has leafed out and is growing
beautifully. But knowing that it needs a dormancy period, and is quite
content to grow in my tree house, I am going to force it into Dormancy.
It appears to be on South African time. I say that because I correspond
with a woman in SA, and her Baobabs are now just starting to drop their
leaves. I made the decision it is time for this plant to sleep,
otherwise it will grow and grow. The winter of 2002 the tree went into
dormancy and after it dropped its leaves, I placed it a darkened bedroom
until the spring of 2003.

I just referred to my Bonsai dairy notes:

03/12/03 - I brought the plant down stairs from the bedroom and placed
it in the tree house. I have not given it any water as yet. THe weather
seemed to warm up, I placed it out doors on the deck.

05/08/03 - I had this tree out doors, but the weather has been too cold.
I brought the Baobab back into the tree house and put it into ICU (a
plastic covered box.

05/25/03 - the tree started to leaf out so I put it back outdoors in the
shade. a week later into the sun.

07/12/03 - The leaves just stopped growing and never completely
unfurled. I put the tree back in doors in ICU

08/31/03 - The leaves have unfurled indoors and the tree is doing fine
in the tree house!!!

From August 31, 2003 until March 22, 2004 the tree has been growing!
It has been thriving for 8 months in my greenhouse, I intend to let it
sleep until August of this year!
For the uninformed a Baobab is considered a seedling until it is 15
years old. a really fascinating plant!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-03-2004, 06:05 AM
Pranab Nag

Does baobab need a cool period for its dormancy? I have two "seedlings"
about 5 year old each and I keep them next to a north facing window. It
does not drop all its leaves. A few at the top are always there.

It is a fascinating tree. It has a bulge at the bottom that goes below
the soil.

-Pranab

PS. This year I am going to build my "tree house" by enclosing the front
porch.

Old 26-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Carl L Rosner

Pranab:
Email privately, and I will send you several pages of information on the
Baobab.... Also I can fill you in on a few things "not to do" when
enclosing a deck. Anyone else who is interested, please mail me privately.
Best regards,

Old 26-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Carl L Rosner

To answer your question directly about a cool period. It has been
suggested that you withold water and then place the tree in a darkened
room. On another forum, I have read that some people take the tree out
of the pot and hang it up in a closet for the dormancy period.

Bringing it out of dormancy is quite tricky, and that is why I said I
would Email you the information, since it is several pages long.