Old 26-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Nina? [IBC] black splotches on Elm leaves

The only disease I know of that causes black spot on elm is "Black spot of elm". It is not a vascular pathogen and it is not an oomycete (i.e. Subdue wouldn't be effective on it). The disease is called stegophora ulmea, and it usually treated with mancoz
eb or maneb. If benomyl is labeled for this use (read the label) then it would be effective, too. With a mild case, you can just remove infected leaves.

Jim, if you know any more details about the disease you are talking about, please let me know- The only vascular disease of elm (besides dutch elm disease) that I'm familiar with is "elm yellows".

Old 26-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim, if you know any more details about the disease you are

talking about, please let me know- The only vascular disease of
elm (besides dutch elm disease) that I'm familiar with is "elm
yellows".

Botryosphaeria. It requires an injury to enter (apparently) and
a wound from removing a branch or twig -- or even severe
bendings -- seems to be enough.

This according to our extension forester & U of Fla. tree guys.

BTW, as far as I am concerned Drake elms can all go extinct,
anyway.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 26-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Botryosphaeria. It requires an injury to enter (apparently) and
a wound from removing a branch or twig -- or even severe
bendings -- seems to be enough.

Botryosphaeria is one of the common canker-causing fungi. It is not a vascular disease- it can only spread externally through wounds, although an existing canker will expand and eventually girdle the branch. It is more severe on stressed plants. There's
nothing to do except excise the canker, and if a bonsai is permanently marred by doing that, well, it's off to the compost pile.

If you are having a big problem with it in Florida, it must be due to some weather condition: drought? Hail? that is exacerbating it.

Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Jim Lewis

Botryosphaeria. It requires an injury to enter (apparently)
and
a wound from removing a branch or twig -- or even severe
bendings -- seems to be enough.

Botryosphaeria is one of the common canker-causing fungi. It

is not a vascular disease- it can only spread externally through
wounds, although an existing canker will expand and eventually
girdle the branch. It is more severe on stressed plants.
There's nothing to do except excise the canker, and if a bonsai
is permanently marred by doing that, well, it's off to the
compost pile.

If you are having a big problem with it in Florida, it must be

due to some weather condition: drought? Hail? that is
exacerbating it.

Drought. Landscape trees are getting it though damage by mowers
and string trimmers, etc. Something like 45% of the Drake and
lacebark elms in Tallahassee are going or gone. No loss IMHO.

But this may no be what I'm seeing on my bonsai elms. (It's not
leaf spot, either, as far as I can tell. The leaves turn
freckled brown, then crispy, then black -- like they have been
burned with a blowtorch.)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature