Old 06-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Mike and Jill

Default Beginner Question

I am floored by this craft!

My wife and I were at Epcot, yesterday and they had a Bonsai display set up
in Japan (several countries have a set up at Epcot, if you have never been).

They were FANTASTIC! Several of them were over 50 years old...........one
was 105.

When I got home, I did some research and saw that some of them are well over
100 years old.

Anyway, I understand that Bonsai is more of a method, then it is a
particular type of tree. However, I am sure some types do better then
others.

I have a few seeds from a Screw Pine Tree that I think would do well in this
format (see the link below for more information on the Screw Pine).

http://mgonline.com/screwpine.html

What do you experienced folks think?

Mike

Old 06-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Iris Cohen

I understand that Bonsai is more of a method, then it is a particular type
of tree. However, I am sure some types do better then others.
I have a few seeds from a Screw Pine Tree that I think would do well in this
format

Forget it. With very few exceptions, monocots are not suitable for bonsai.
Since you are in Florida, start with a Ficus.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Another beginner question Mikael Roses 2 03-03-2005 05:13 PM
[IBC] Beginner question: unhappy ficus benjamina Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 10-12-2003 02:32 PM
Beginner question: unhappy ficus benjamina Guy McCusker Bonsai 2 04-12-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] beginner,question on jinning Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 3 04-08-2003 03:12 AM
beginner,question on jinning MangaMan72 Bonsai 0 04-08-2003 01:22 AM