Old 14-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Pruning a Pyracantha

One of the trees I lost was a nice little Pyracantha cascade.

I do have several potensai Pyracantha on my growing-on bench, but
they'll need a lot of pruning. Which leads me to my question:

Does anyone have any pruning tips for this species? Pruning
scars seem to NOT heal over with Pyracantha. Is there some
technique that promotes callusing of wounds on these?

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-05-2004, 01:05 AM
TreeBay

Kathy Shaner is quick to point out the importance of sealing all pruning
wounds on pyracantha, especially with the problems associated with
fireblight, which she said can be transferred from one plant to another
by the movement of birds and insects.

Ernie Kuo has a similar story on one of the trees in his Gallery at

http://tinyurl.com/2xhhp

Good luck,

Matt

--
TreeBay - Tips:5¢ Advice:Free

-Carpe Tree-um- (Seize the bonsai!)
'TreeBay Bonsai Tools & Supplies' (http://www.TreeBay.com)
Thank you for supporting bonsaiTALK.
TreeBay's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...tinfo&userid=5
View this thread: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...?threadid=6653

Old 16-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Michael Persiano

writes:
Kathy Shaner is quick to point out the importance of sealing all pruning
wounds on pyracantha, especially with the problems associated with
fireblight, which she said can be transferred from one plant to another
by the movement of birds and insects.
With respect to Fireblight, I am not sure that sealing wounds is a major
preventative step. . . I could be wrong. Nina?

For the Firethorn Enthusiast who may confuse Fireblight with Pyracantha Scab:

Fireblight. Flower clusters wilt and turn black. The foliage looks blackened
and scorched, and die back occurs. In spring and summer during humid weather a
white ooze may exude from infected wood. Another check is to peel back the
bark to see whether the area is streaked reddish brown.

Fireblight is a bacterial disease spreading backwards along the stems. It is
spread by wind-blown rain and insects to the branches of the tree. Infected
branches are killed quickly and a tree can die into two or three years unless
prompt action is taken.

If your bonsai becomes infected, prune out infected areas. Infected wood is
stained below the branch bark. You need to cut back into healthy wood well
below the last sign of staining. To prevent contamination, wipe pruning tools
between cuts with a rag soaked with horticultural disinfectant (Jeyes fluid) or
methylated spirit to prevent spread of the bacteria. It is advisable to destroy
the plant if it is small or the attack severe.

Pyracantha Scab. Dark green to black spots appear on leaves and twigs in
early summer, causing leaf fall. Scabby patches appear on fruits later in the
autumn, spoiling their appearance. The berries may also split and fall off. The
disease can be confused with fireblight, which also occurs on Pyracantha;
however, fireblight causes a more sudden wilting and shrivelling of the shoots.

Prune out and dispose of infected twigs. If done early in the year, pruning
will reduce colonization of the later flowers and berries and prevent the
disease overwintering.

Nina may be able to recommend a chemical treatment, if such a solution exists.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 25-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Steve wachs

I hard prune my Pyracantha in the early fall. I think it's before it sets
buds for the following spring. After it leafs out in the spring I shape it. I
don't touch it again until fall. I have 4 pyracanthas including 1 cascade I
started last year.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

pruning pyracantha Cindy Texas 1 09-05-2005 04:45 AM
Pruning Pyracantha ? Ged United Kingdom 8 10-08-2004 06:15 PM
Pyracantha ..overdue for pruning bnd777 United Kingdom 2 03-04-2003 12:32 PM
[IBC] Pyracantha Cuttings Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 11-03-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] Tasmanian Weather. Was [IBC] Pyracantha Cuttings Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 10-03-2003 08:08 PM