Old 20-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Edmund L. Castillo

Default [IBC] John Naka

Even to those of us who knew him only slightly, John Naka's death is deeply saddening. Yet we must be thankful for his long and productive life, his sense of humor and generous nature, and his unmatched contribution to American Bonsai.

His death and that of Yuji Yoshimura bring to a close an era of Bonsai in this country in which the dominant masters were Japanese. It now is up to American masters to fill this gap. In doing so, they probably will change the art subtly, which some wil
l applaud and others deplore; but the art of bonsai, like the trees themselves, is constantly developing and changing. His legacy will be enduring.

Edmund L. Castillo
Western Loudoun Co., VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Craig Cowing

"Edmund L. Castillo" wrote:

Even to those of us who knew him only slightly, John Naka's death is deeply saddening. Yet we must be thankful for his long and productive life, his sense of humor and generous nature, and his unmatched contribution to American Bonsai.

His death and that of Yuji Yoshimura bring to a close an era of Bonsai in this country in which the dominant masters were Japanese. It now is up to American masters to fill this gap. In doing so, they probably will change the art subtly, which some w

ill applaud and others deplore; but the art of bonsai, like the trees themselves, is constantly developing and changing. His legacy will be enduring.

Edmund L. Castillo
Western Loudoun Co., VA

Good observation about Yoshimura and Naka together. One on each coast, interestingly enough. Between them they have left us a marvelous legacy.

Indeed, the art of bonsai is a living, growing thing and will change in ways we may not be able to anticipate. This is a natural part of one culture's adaptation of an art from another culture. It must change and adapt in order to become a part of the ad
opted culture.

The death of people like John Naka should also remind us that bonsai is foremost about trees, but it is also about people. I never met John, but people who did tell me he treated with respect the people whom he encountered. This too is an important legac
y that he leaves behind.

From everything I have learned about Naka, all of it second or third-hand, I believe he lived out the meaning of this quote from Saburo Kato, another living bonsai legend:

"From bonsai we receive peace of mind, health, and a life's pursuit. We can also learn generosity, patience and even philosophy about life. We have also had the good fortune to make friends of all nationalities and races with whom we share a mutual trust a
nd
respect. This is all thanks to bonsai."

Saburo Kato
from "The Candle of Peace"
Bonsai of the World Book 1 (1993)

(from the WBFF website)

For the rest of us, we would do well to follow this philosophy.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Theo

I read this sad new and reported in others bonsai NG ..
well
i have his books
that I regularly read and everytime is a renewed source of learning
and pleasure
reading them will be a way to keep the dialogue with John Naka
staying alive ..
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Ernie Kuo reported on the Gallery that John Naka (1914-2004) died
sometime today.

Memorial service info is pending.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni
(la Rochefocault)

Old 20-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Theo

Hi The french site following to the bad news published this
http://bonsaimi.apinc.org/forum/view...hp?p=3845#3845
** John Naka has gone.
a whisper of astonishment wonders in between the branches of the goshins**
this is the story about it :
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/newsletter1/1e.htm
Theo

[IBC] John Naka Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 26-05-2004 11:08 PM
[IBC] John Naka Chiara Bonsai 3 20-05-2004 06:06 PM
[IBC] photo of John Naka sketching Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 12-01-2004 09:47 PM
[IBC] photo of John Naka sketching Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 12-01-2004 09:47 PM
[IBC] John Y. Naka Sketchbook ovais Bonsai 0 19-07-2003 01:12 PM