Old 22-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Recent acquisition

An elderly acquaintance in the Taoist Tai Chi Society who had
dabbled in bonsai some years ago said the other day that she had
10 small pots and 9 "magazines" and wanted to get rid of them. I
said I'd take them and would at least take them to the local
club's meetings (she once was a member) to be raffled.

All but a couple of the pots essentially duplicate some I have
and will go to the Tallahassee Club raffle next month. They're
all small (under 9 inches) Japanese pots.

The "magazines" turned out to be several Brooklyn Botanic Garden
publications, 5 of which I had -- "Dwarf Conifers," "Japanese
Gardens and Miniature Landscapes," "Handbook on Dwarf Potted
Trees," "Handbook on Bonsai: Special Techniques," & "Bonsai for
Indoors." These too will go to the raffle.

Another was the BBG's "Handbook on Propagation" which, for some
reason, the BBG no longer seems to publish. I'll hang on to this
one, and after reading it, would recommend that folks interested
in the various ways of propagating plants (like bonsai) get a
copy of the BBG booklet. WWW.Abebooks.com has used copies for
as low as $3.00, though most are in the $5-$10 range.

Another "magazine" turned out to be Bill Valavanis' "Bonsai
Creation and Design Using Propagation Techniques," a very
hard-to-find booklet and a very nice addition to my book
collection. I'd recommend Bill's book, too, but it is almost
impossible to find and, I am told, very pricey when found.

The last little "magazine" turned out to be a very basic,
20-page, poorly illustrated how-to book issued by someone named
Woodward Radcliff in 1973. I keep it only as an addition to my
book collection (and because no one would put down a $1.00 raffle
ticket for it ;-).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

My new acquisition! Claude Orchids 1 06-02-2004 06:20 AM
Is it legal? (plant acquisition) LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Ponds 14 14-07-2003 11:47 PM
Is it legal? (plant acquisition) [and frogs] LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Ponds 13 13-07-2003 02:44 AM
agriculture enviromental data acquisition Mario Plant Science 9 02-06-2003 06:20 AM
agriculture enviromental data acquisition Mario sci.agriculture 11 02-06-2003 06:20 AM