Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Default Is it legal? (plant acquisition) [and frogs]

Wow. So many different answers.

1. The people who live around the pond are in an association that also
controls the swimming area, so I would think that if I just talk to someone
in that association, I'd prolly be ok, I guess. Our friend lives there, so
I'll ask him to ask around.

2. There are beavers living there. We've been swimming and kayaking in there
for a few years and we seem fine, but would plantlife from there harm my
goldfish?

Loved reading the answers. Thanks for all the different points of view. This
is only my second season with a pond. I am really enjoying it. It's just a
small thing, compared to what most of you have, but it seems to be thriving.

Something odd tho, last year by this time we had about 6-7 frogs. By the end
of the season, we had 9. This year, none. What's up with that, do you
think? We had a very cold, wet spring. Ya think that would affect things?

--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)

Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Sam Hopkins

Nah not different answers.. Bottom line is:

* It's illegal to take anything from government own facilities however
depending where you are you'll find different levels of enforcement of the
law by the enforcement officers.

* If it's privately owned then it's always open to who owns the property.

* If it's from a different area from yours there may be bad things such as
parasites, etc that your pond life is not accustomed to.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Ok. Rephrase that as, a lot of different answers meaning not the same thing
said over and over. Lots of info as in... thanks for the flood of
information.

--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)

.. .

Old 12-07-2003, 12:47 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:04:31 GMT, "LN \(remove NOSPAM\)"
wrote:

Ok. Rephrase that as, a lot of different answers meaning not the same thing
said over and over. Lots of info as in... thanks for the flood of
information.

Here's another bottom line:

Even if it's okay, once you get down there, where the plants are living,
you might have 2nd thoughts of how much is your work worth?

In my 2nd year of ponding (or maybe the 1st) I saw yellow flag iris in a
local pond. I parked the car and walked to where I could see that getting
to the area to dig meant wearing something better than flipflops, and a BIG
shovel that could manage digging thru even BIGGER rocks. Than take into
account the mud, the sweat, the sterilizing and I gladly shelled out the $$
and got exactly what I wanted. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Actually, the plants I'd be after are the pickerel weed and there are some
in very shallow water and would be easy to get to. What do you mean by
sterizilizing?

I loved your pond pictures. Wish I had the room for that size. Mine is a bit
smaller.

http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed (look under Garden folder - there are
two pages)

--
LN in NH (new gardener/ponder in zone 5)

wrote:

Ok. Rephrase that as, a lot of different answers meaning not the same

thing
said over and over. Lots of info as in... thanks for the flood of
information.

Here's another bottom line:

Even if it's okay, once you get down there, where the plants are living,
you might have 2nd thoughts of how much is your work worth?

In my 2nd year of ponding (or maybe the 1st) I saw yellow flag iris in a
local pond. I parked the car and walked to where I could see that getting
to the area to dig meant wearing something better than flipflops, and a

BIG
shovel that could manage digging thru even BIGGER rocks. Than take into
account the mud, the sweat, the sterilizing and I gladly shelled out the

$$

Old 12-07-2003, 07:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:25:32 GMT, "LN \(remove NOSPAM\)" wrote:

Actually, the plants I'd be after are the pickerel weed and there are some
in very shallow water and would be easy to get to. What do you mean by
sterizilizing?

I use PP (potassium permanganate) to soak my plants in so I don't transmit
any diseases or other pests (doesn't always work on snails) to my ponds,
this is regardless of where they are coming from.

I loved your pond pictures. Wish I had the room for that size. Mine is a bit
smaller.

http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed (look under Garden folder - there are
two pages)

Thank you for visiting my webpage. Considering size, pickerel gets quite
large, I don't even keep it in my ponds. Had it once, wasn't impressed.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:32 AM
bern

"LN \(remove NOSPAM\)" wrote in message ...

Something odd tho, last year by this time we had about 6-7 frogs. By the end
of the season, we had 9. This year, none. What's up with that, do you
think? We had a very cold, wet spring. Ya think that would affect things?

Lots of things affect frog populations. Some imponderable. We have had
a pond for 20 odd years, and every year we have different numbers of
frogs, and different kinds. For a couple of years we had none, or only
one, and combined with newspaper reports of world wide amphibian
scarcity we were fearful of never having another one. Then the next
year we had a bumper crop of 3 different species at once. I think frog
populations naturally go up and down on a local scale.
Old 13-07-2003, 02:44 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I'm sure that's it, but I really miss them! I used to enjoy going out and
counting them and having a chat. My fish won't stay and chat. They watch me
weed/deadhead the flowers nearby, but if I glance their way, they will hide
or look the other way pretending they weren't watching me.

--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)

om...

legal issues and frogs kathy Ponds 10 14-04-2005 07:10 AM
Is it legal? (plant acquisition) LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Ponds 14 14-07-2003 11:47 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
agriculture enviromental data acquisition Mario Plant Science 9 02-06-2003 06:20 AM
agriculture enviromental data acquisition Mario sci.agriculture 11 02-06-2003 06:20 AM