Old 23-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Problem from the Adirondacks

The problem is that I have always wanted to have a hemlock bonsai, so far
without success. When he was a little boy, my son chipped a hollow in a glacial
cobblestone (about 3" x 5") & gave it to me as a plant container. More
recently I had it drilled all the way through, but I haven't been able to grow
a tree in it. It is a miniature version of the boulders you find scattered in
the Adirondacks & the North woods, where the hemlocks & beeches grow. I finally
gave up & decided to grow some sort of a landscape bonsai with one or two dwarf
hemlocks (the clone usually sold as 'Jervis') and the mini-boulder. One
question is, what sort of plant, vine, bush, etc. could I grow in the boulder,
which is a miniature of, or related to, something that would be growing in the
vicinity of hemlocks? In order to be compatible with hemlock, it has to grow in
part shade.
The other question is, what kind of pot should I use? Would a shallow landscape
tray be suitable for hemlocks?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."